Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hones

I have been researching for some time now, trying to decide what kind of hone to get for sharpening various kinds of blades. This is complicated by the fact that one kind of blade involved is 12D carbon steel scalpel blades, which are very small and are curved with both the convex and concave edges sharpened, like this:

http://www.swann-morton.com/product/23.php

The curvature of the blades make it seem that a curved hone would work best, at least on the concave side. What I have been considering is a slipstone like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221130309218...84.m1438.l2649

The primary problem with this is price, because I can get a similar stone made of silicon carbide for only about $20, but I have yet found any information on how to use it, like whether it requires oil or water to be applied, and I don't know if there are any other advantages or disadvantages to using it, rather than the ceramic stone that doesn't require either oil or water? I could sure use some help with deciding on which way to jump.

After deciding on the stone, there is another consideration...if there is a sharpening guide available that would work. All that I've found seem best suited to sharpening flat or slightly curved blade edges.

Last edited by seekermeister; 05-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.
seekermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

Hones

You might want to consider by new blades rather than attempting to sharpen curved ones. It is quite different than straight blades.

The 12D is often called a 12B in the states.
Here is a source.

http://www.net32.com/ec/miltex-12b-s...calpel-d-31338

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Hones

I understand your perspective, but in the use that I put them to, which primarily involves using only the tip, they usually dull on the first usage, which makes them somewhat expensive to be constantly replacing.

I may be forced to use the replacement method, but for now, I shall experiment with the idea of resharpening them.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 36

Hones

Wet dry sand paper makes fine sharpener and can form around different objects to get the shape you need. It comes in very fines grits as well. Extra fine stuff is call crocus cloth.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #5

Hones

I suppose that it is possible to use sandpaper to sharpen a blade, but I see no way to do that in predictable proficient fashion, unless the blade being sharpened was straight and the sandpaper was laid flat on a hard surface. I need a method to sharpen precisely the blades that I mentioned...that isn't it.