Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |

Hole Saw Size

I am purchasing a drill for the specific purpose of drilling holes into wood with a hole saw.
For my use, my priorities have been light weight, and 8 amps. Manufacturers report capacity of the drill in wood, steel, and concrete, but they do not specify what size of hole saw may be used.
How does one determine the proper limit of size for a given drill? This is not just a power issue, but also an issue of torque and bearings. How does one pick the appropriate drill for such use?
The Force (is with you!)

The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hole Saw Size

What size hole saws you have in mind.

I will warn you that a drill motor with plenty of power and torque will easily break your fingers and wrists if the right size hole saw is used. Sometimes a "D" handle or a right angle drill is the better choice.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

Hole Saw Size

Not to mention the fact that once the hole saw bites it can pull you off a ladder, or smack you in the face. Low speed and low torque is the settings I usually use till I get a feel for how the drill bit are reacting. Right angle drills are your best bet, of the corded variety. If this is going to be a one off, or a small project, I'd suggest looking at a rental.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #4

Hole Saw Size

Well, I am using a 3" hole saw and under. I was using my very old Sears VSR 3/8" drill and decided to purchase a higher torque drill to save my old drill rather than destroy it by improper use (thinking particularly about the bearings).
I was looking at the DW505K which seemed to be the best mix of power and light weight. The Sears drill is about 4 lbs, and I don't really want to heft much more than that. No, this does not have the D handle, nor is it a right angle drill (that thought did cross my mind, both of those, actually).

Regards,
The Force (of One)
The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #5

Hole Saw Size

A reguler pistal grip drill would twist your wrist off when it grabs, runs at to high a speed and has less torque then a right angle drill. It's not going to have a lot to do with hurting the bearing, it's going to burn up the windings from over heating.
If you want a drill that's going to last your going to have to just deal with some extra weight if you want a heavy duty drill.
I personaly would not buy a Dewalt anything. I've had nothng but trouble with them.
Porta Cable or Milwaulke I think make better grade tools.
Any time your thinking abut buy a new tool check out Amazon.com, for one they have fair prices, in some cases the shipping is free, but what I like is as your looking at the tool look at the bottom of the page. There's reviews from people that owned or have bought that tool.
Some tricks I use when using a hole saw is to drill a hole right where the saw is cutting, it allows the chips to clear, ribbing the outside with bar hand soap, it lubs the outside and reduces friction.
With a right angle drill it's best when ever possible to have the handle up againt a wall so it will not try and spin when it grabs.
For super fast and easy hole cutting buy one of these set or any real plumbing supply with have the single sizes.
http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwauke...ukee-hole-saws
It will cut at least twice as fast and far less grabing.

Last edited by joecaption; 12-14-2011 at 08:41 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Tileguy

Hole Saw Size

The heavier the physical weight of the tool the better off the operator is when it comes to torque being transmitted into the operators body parts.

What material is being cut?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
DIY staff

Hole Saw Size

The cup style hole saws are slow and bind up a lot---for 3" and smaller holes--the auger type that peals out the center of the hole are the preferred type of cutter---
Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Hole Saw Size

Get a 1/2" Milwaukee corded hammer drill. You can drill through a Death Star.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #9

Hole Saw Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
Get a 1/2" Milwaukee corded hammer drill. You can drill through a Death Star.
Then what can I drill through with the Milwaukee 1663-20 7.0 Amp 450 rpm triple geared spade handle drill? The sun? LOL. Seriously though for big hole saws a 0-550 or 0-850rpm drill work great!
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #10

Hole Saw Size

I picked up a Hitachi hammer drill (their smaller cheaper one) a few years ago for a couple big projects. Holy cow, that thing will blast 3" holes in concrete or brick in a flash (with the right bit, of course). Maybe not drilll through the sun but I think I could get to China with it. Have to clean the rock ouf the hole saw bit a few times, I guess.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Tileguy

Hole Saw Size

What's a "Death Star"?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #12

Hole Saw Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
What's a "Death Star"?
An impenetrable weapons platform.
It was Luke Skywalker's back up plan if the missle failed. If you look closely, behind the seat, on the floor, you'll see the red handle of the drill.
May the force be with you, Bud.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
Tileguy

Hole Saw Size

Oh well then good, great, okay, I see.

So ah, ah, did the missle fail?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #14

Hole Saw Size

Bud, Bud, Bud.... I am not the world's biggest SW fan but I have to ask: where have you been the last 30 years? ;-) BTW, I loved the linked "stupid" video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Oh well then good, great, okay, I see.

So ah, ah, did the missle fail?
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
EIT/DIY'er

Hole Saw Size

After fighting frustration and wasting time with either my 3/8 Ridgid corded drill or a POS 1/2" Harbor Freight (that burned up instantly), I finally went and got the proper tool.....Milwaukee 1/2" right angle drill. Using hole saws or the self-feeding drill bits, the think is awesome and makes the job easy.

Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drill, holesaw