Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to iGotNoTime
Share |

Hitachi opinions?

I am eager to spend some money on some cordless power tools and am curious about Hitachi because it is a sexy green color.

When I had a mobile home all I needed was a Black & Decker cordless combo kit. My son has since lost almost everything from that kit with exception to the drill (that I found seized from rust under my deck). Besides this I have a garage I can lock him out of and wanted some quality tools with more umph to them. I mean my grandmother buys B & D and I don't think the work I am doing is on her level.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Hitachi vs. Ryobi or even Dewalt for that matter?

iGotNoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
DIY'er

Hitachi opinions?

I am a Dewalt and Bosch man myself, but I know guys who love their Hitachis...kind of a personal thing.
Other names to consider: Milwaukee, Porter and Cable, Makita and the Rolls Royce of power tools, Festool (expensive!!!)...to name a few.
In general, I have heard inconsistent things about Ryobi, Skill, Black and Decker, Craftsman....Not to say that there are not some tools from these manufacturers that are solid....ex. I have a craftsman table saw that you would have to pry from my dead hands...

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #3

Hitachi opinions?

in my eyes as a serious diy'er i have a few tools of many different brands. corded tools, i like milwuakee, metabo is awsome too, but pricey. i buy the product i like most, unfortunately i wound up with at least 5 different battery chargers. i have at least 3 ryobi cordless tools. they are pretty good and for the price you really cant go wrong. my uncle went and bought a set of milwuakee cordless, one huge gripe, the batteries are very hard to get out of the tools. after 16 months he gave me the set as he already replaced 2 batteries, the drill is having issues, might just be brushes, if you can even change them i forget. the sawzall was pretty cool with the moveable handle, but ate batteries liek you wouldnt believe, and something broke in that so the blade no longer moves. if i decide to buy new batteries, i will have a circ saw a battery charger and a light. to me its not worth putting a dime into. i would still have to fix the other broken tools. for what id spend in batteries i can buy a ryobi set. i also have a hitachi impact driver which is absolutley awsome, have a black and decker impact driver, which is pretty damn good for the 29 bucks i paid for it. i also had a black and decker firestorm 18v drill driver that i bought reconditioned from the outlet store, when the firestorm name was new, it lasted 3 years, the charger took a crap, i bought a new one and got another year and somethign else went, i then tossed it. 4 years for 115bucks wasnt to bad. dewalt does not impress me. unless you buy the high end models you are just getting black and decker stuff with a faster rate of charge. i think the prices are obserd for diy stuff. i also know a contractor that has run his own business since 78 and swears by ryobi. i kinda like the rigid stuff too. id buy hitachi before dewalt anyday.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:17 AM   #4

Hitachi opinions?

Dewalt I know probably has some die hard fans and these are not gained by producing junk. Especially pro's I know used to use that name alone, but I think they have been living only off their name for a few years now. I have a friend that is a DirecTV install tech and he gave up completely on Dewalt when he went through 3 of the same model drills in just under 6 months.

I know he uses them on brick but they couldn't take the beating I guess. He has a very big Milwaukee now and has used the same drill for almost 2 years with no complaints. Beyond drills I don't know how the name (Millwaukee) stands up but I am not drilling through layer upon layer of brick day in and out like him.

So no serious complaints on Hitachi tools then?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Oldguy

Hitachi opinions?

I recentlu purchased a Hitachi compressor. So far both air quick disconnects and the pressure regulator have failed. Emailed Hitachi and they don't even respond

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #6

Hitachi opinions?

Most of my kit i have is Hitachi from NR nailgun to chopsaw. I have tried alot of diffrent makes and my own view is they can't be beaten for quality and ruggedness.
gedereco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #7

Hitachi opinions?

I have a Hitachi brad nailer, and love it. It's not the latest funky design though, which is specifically why I bought it.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 AM   #8

Hitachi opinions?

Hitachi makes good quality tools that are fairly cheap and thats what most home owner's are looking for. It doesn't really make much difference what brand you choose as long as it's not a cheap no name tool, just remember that if your cordless tools don't get used that often the battery's run dead so you will have to charge them before each use. I too think they look cool as well so go with green and black!
krazy johnni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 AM   #9

Hitachi opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy johnni View Post
Hitachi makes good quality tools that are fairly cheap and thats what most home owner's are looking for. It doesn't really make much difference what brand you choose as long as it's not a cheap no name tool, just remember that if your cordless tools don't get used that often the battery's run dead so you will have to charge them before each use. I too think they look cool as well so go with green and black!
There's a big difference between some hitachi tools though. Make sure you check where it was manufactured. My nailer was made in Japan, while some of their other stuff is made in China.

Battery condition is less of a concern if you buy batteries that use Lithium Ion tools. They'll generally hold their charge and don't have a memory effect.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #10

Hitachi opinions?

That's correct but there expensive and still don't have as much power as a $50 corded drill.
krazy johnni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
I have gas!

Hitachi opinions?

I'm not a big fan of Hitachi's sneaker design and I don't own any yellow tools. The only cordless tools I have are my Ridgid drill driver and a Ryobi drill driver. I bought the Ridgid for the lifetime warranty which includes batteries. I bought the Ryobi as an impulse buy, it was $29 at HD. I bought it for my wife but it's handy to have when I need two different setups such as one with a drill bit and the other with a screw bit. The Ryobi works fine but it doesn't see a lot of use and it hasn't taken a major tumble yet. I've never tried some of the other cordless tools. How long does the battery last on a circular saw or recipricating saw? I also have a Ryobi corded hammer drill. I cheaped out on that because I don't use it that often but it works fine. I did buy a Ryobi jigsaw, used it once and exchanged it for a Bosch. The Ryobi jigsaw was junk. Millwaukee is best known for their Sawzall, which I think is an excellant tool. I'm also a fan of Makita. I make my decisions on a tool by tool basis. If you are buying a complete cordless setup, then it makes sense to buy one brand for battery compatibility.
Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #12

Hitachi opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy johnni View Post
That's correct but there expensive and still don't have as much power as a $50 corded drill.
You give up one thing to get something else.

Cordless Tool

Pros: Portable, clutch
Cons: Price, replacement batteries

Cordless Tool

Pros: Cheaper, ready when you need it
Cons: No clutch, need power source at home/generator at work site, need to drag a cord around

I have this which is great for all around use:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS20-2-L...6571449&sr=8-1

This for reliable corded power:

http://www.amazon.com/2-Hammer-Drill...571738&sr=1-12

Here's a tool with ample power, probably more than your $50 drill:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Litheon-...6571449&sr=8-3
Old 04-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #13

Hitachi opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
I'm not a big fan of Hitachi's sneaker design and I don't own any yellow tools. The only cordless tools I have are my Ridgid drill driver and a Ryobi drill driver. I bought the Ridgid for the lifetime warranty which includes batteries. I bought the Ryobi as an impulse buy, it was $29 at HD. I bought it for my wife but it's handy to have when I need two different setups such as one with a drill bit and the other with a screw bit. The Ryobi works fine but it doesn't see a lot of use and it hasn't taken a major tumble yet. I've never tried some of the other cordless tools. How long does the battery last on a circular saw or recipricating saw? I also have a Ryobi corded hammer drill. I cheaped out on that because I don't use it that often but it works fine. I did buy a Ryobi jigsaw, used it once and exchanged it for a Bosch. The Ryobi jigsaw was junk. Millwaukee is best known for their Sawzall, which I think is an excellant tool. I'm also a fan of Makita. I make my decisions on a tool by tool basis. If you are buying a complete cordless setup, then it makes sense to buy one brand for battery compatibility.
Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.

I would definitely never buy a cordless circular saw. I have an 18V milwaukee Hammer drill, and the batteries are crap, and expensive. Milwaukee now offers a lithium Ion battery option for my same drill, but it costs a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-1...6572120&sr=1-6
Old 04-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #14

Hitachi opinions?

I disagree a bit Handyman88, not much but to an extent. You say that cordless circular saws are more or less junk, when rip sawing a sheet of 3/4" ply I would say you have a valid argument but there are many uses in smaller lumber that these types of saws are a more suitable option than their larger older cousins.

I am not trying to get a flame going or anything here, I just feel that every tool has some very good uses, or at least that is the excuse I give my wife for me to continue buying them all.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hitachi opinions?

Actually, when cordless saws came out, they were called 'cordless trim saws'.
Their use, was primarily to cut or trim thin stock quickly.

We own several cordless trim saws. We use them primarily for:

Cutting strapping for rough framing.

Trimming siding down for installation, while up on staging. (siding that has been cut by the person on the ground, but needs to be 'tweeked')

Quick installation of wood stock for electricians and plumbers to flush mount brackets for conduits, boxes, pipes, etc...

Like every tool, they have their 'place and use'....and like every tool, if you try to use them for 'something that they were not really designed to be used for', you will not get good results.....(i.e. - finished carpentry, 2x4's, ripping down thicker plywood, etc...)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-20-2007 at 08:47 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote