Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Hitachi nailers????

Looking into finish nailers and I came across this at Lowes for $129

Hitachi 2-1/2" 16 Gauge Finish Nailer with Air Duster
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...M2S&lpage=none

Ive been looking for a decent trim/finish nailer, im going to be redoing my kitchen and laying a new floor on the whole 1st floor so new base and shoe along with casing will be going up throughout. Want something good enough to get the job done but it will probably collect dust for a few years after. Id like to spend less than $150, but I dont like buying throw-away tools either. Anyone have opinions on Hitachi nailers? Or this one specifically?
I also came across a Paslode, Bostich and Hitachi 2lb nailers all under $100, but to my understanding these are inappropriate for base/trim as they are 18g "pin" nailers.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!!

mike
mgarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Home Remodeler

Hitachi nailers????

I have a hitachi 15 gauge, it is the best finish nailer I have. The 16 gauge is great but I like the 15 to install prehung doors and hardwood flooring where the floor nailer won't fit. The rest of mine are Bostich. They would be fine for home use.

Last edited by mikey48; 12-13-2009 at 01:33 PM.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Hitachi nailers????

Most of my trim nailers are Senco pneumatic and Paslode cordless, with an oddball Bostitch brad nailer/stapler and a Ridgid 2" brad gun that I really like. I have a Hitachi coil siding nailer that is a good gun, so I don't thik you'll go wrong with the brand. Pin nailers are too light of a gauge fastener for trim......
Old 12-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Hitachi nailers????

I have used Hitachi 15 ga finish nailer and 2" 18 ga brad nailers professionally for several years and am happy. I thought the air blower was just a useless gimmick when I bought the 15 ga.. boy was I wrong, amazing how handy it is when runnng base or installing window sills. Also have several Paslode 16 ga. for many years. You will be appy with either IMO. Unless installing large trim I would give more consideration to the 16 ga; it is a lot easier to cleanly nail along an edge (like door casing to jambs) with the 16ga t-head nails than the heavier DA heads. Any of the professional tools will do the job; but sometimes the choice just comes down to how different tools feel in your hand. Go to a contractor suppy house and handle four or five brands. I always steer people away from the promotional assortments at the big boxes with several guns, cheap little compressor, and hose for several hundred dollars; the compressor is inadequate, and the guns are always bottom end models.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 12-26-2009 at 02:42 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote