Hitachi 18v Li Ion Batteries Repair Costs - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodworkbykirk

Old 12-31-2016, 04:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Hitachi 18v Li Ion batteries repair costs

I have a great drill that I've used for a few years. I have 3 batteries and only 1 works anymore. It's the Hitachi 18V BSL1815X 1.5AH Slide in.

I bought the drill/2 batteries/ charger/flash light/case for less than eBay is selling 2 batteries alone.

The last one just died without warning.

I tried once to rebuild a Li Ion battery in a laptop, but the laptop is so old that it's really not worth trying to save. I found the batteries on eBay and took the battery pack apart and started replacing the batteries.

I can probably do this with these or send them back in to Hitachi.

I'm sure someone here has done this.

Q. How much did it cost?

Q. has anyone brought one into Batteries+Bulbs and how much did they charge?

Advertisement

KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,748

Re: Hitachi 18v Li Ion batteries repair costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I have a great drill that I've used for a few years. I have 3 batteries and only 1 works anymore. It's the Hitachi 18V BSL1815X 1.5AH Slide in.

I bought the drill/2 batteries/ charger/flash light/case for less than eBay is selling 2 batteries alone.

The last one just died without warning.

I tried once to rebuild a Li Ion battery in a laptop, but the laptop is so old that it's really not worth trying to save. I found the batteries on eBay and took the battery pack apart and started replacing the batteries.

I can probably do this with these or send them back in to Hitachi.

I'm sure someone here has done this.

Q. How much did it cost?

Q. has anyone brought one into Batteries+Bulbs and how much did they charge?

They cannot be rebuilt according to Primecell.

http://www.primecell.com/qli-Ion.htm

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
They cannot be rebuilt according to Primecell.

http://www.primecell.com/qli-Ion.htm
That's odd that they would say that and give the example of the iPod. I actually replaced my own battery cell inside my iPod. Apple wanted more than the product is worth to replace the battery, just like the site said, however, I replaced the battery myself with an $8 kit from eBay.

The cells have common sizes and these are all over eBay, so I'm surprised they would suggest they aren't rebuildable.

It was about 25X the cost to have it repaired vs repairing it myself.

The site also says you can't buy them new, these were shipped out of Hong Kong and lasted for years.

I just find it odd that it cost more to buy batteries alone than if you buy them with a drill.

I can literally buy a drill, throw the drill into the trash and save money. That doesn't seem right.

Edit: I just noticed, that site hasn't been updated in over 10 years. I thought it looked dated.

Last edited by KarlJay; 12-31-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Well, i can't find anybody that rebuilds them yet, reason being safety circuits, this is the main reason. There is a circuit board inside most lithium ion packs that is full of safety cutoffs and thermal relays, so if you find someone who rebuilds let us know.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #5

Well if they use standard batteries you can just swap out the batteries. I've done that on an 18v impact gun. Just found out what batteries it uses, swap out each one, it's not so hard.

That doesn't mean swapping the batteries will actually solve the problem and there could be some reset in the circuit.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, the batteries are dirt cheap compared to new packs.

IMO, they really don't like customers doing this, if they did, there would be standard sizes, but they are all made different. You can't use one brand with another.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,264

don not attempt this.... there have been quite a few incidents of people doing it and the too or the battery catching on fire... take the hit and just upgrade to a new tool with fresh batteries
Yodaman likes this.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
don not attempt this.... there have been quite a few incidents of people doing it and the too or the battery catching on fire... take the hit and just upgrade to a new tool with fresh batteries
The problem is that I pay $100 use the tool about 10~20 times, then throw every thing in the trash. That really doesn't seem like a very good deal.

I understand that venders want you to throw everything away and buy new as often as you can, but just like the iPod that I replaced the battery on myself. I got some 8 years more use out of if for about $12 and it's still going strong. Apple wanted about $160+ to do the same thing. Their in the business of selling us stuff, the more of their stuff we throw away, the more money they make.

I see it as the ink jet printer business model. They could have made all the ink jet printer cartridges the same, like flashlight batteries, but they didn't. It's a way to get as much money as you can from the consumer, we let them do this because we give in and just keep giving them the money.

If people didn't buy it, the companies wouldn't do it.

Last edited by KarlJay; 01-01-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,264

get a ryobi set then,, its much more affordable than a pro grade tool

the problem with what you want to do is well documented that such modifications run the serious risk of catching on fire.. ipods are one thing but a tool that draws much more power can and will catch on fire... makita put out a statement a couple years ago telling people not to do such a thing becasue they had people attempting to get the warrenty honored when the battery was clearly modified or tampered with
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
The problem is that I pay $100 use the tool about 10~20 times, then throw every thing in the trash. That really doesn't seem like a very good deal.

I understand that venders want you to throw everything away and buy new as often as you can, but just like the iPod that I replaced the battery on myself. I got some 8 years more use out of if for about $12 and it's still going strong. Apple wanted about $160+ to do the same thing. Their in the business of selling us stuff, the more of their stuff we throw away, the more money they make.

I see it as the ink jet printer business model. They could have made all the ink jet printer cartridges the same, like flashlight batteries, but they didn't. It's a way to get as much money as you can from the consumer, we let them do this because we give in and just keep giving them the money.

If people didn't buy it, the companies wouldn't do it.

If that's all the use your getting from your batteries, then your not maintaining them properly, you do know to charge them at least every 6 months, weather they need it or not, sounds like they are going to sleep, and the only way to revive them is to zap them on a cadex charger, before a regular charger can be used.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._li_ion_to_die
Old 01-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
If that's all the use your getting from your batteries, then your not maintaining them properly, you do know to charge them at least every 6 months, weather they need it or not, sounds like they are going to sleep, and the only way to revive them is to zap them on a cadex charger, before a regular charger can be used.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._li_ion_to_die
That sounds like it's worth a try. I wonder if some local shop has a cadex charger.
I'm sure they sat for a long time and it's not the kind of thing I want to have to worry about.

now that you mention it, one of the iPods seems to suffer the same problem because it would sit for so long.

Edit: looks like they have them in store: http://blog.batteriesplus.com/2013/y...a-good-battery

Last edited by KarlJay; 01-02-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #11

You won't find Cadex analyzers in too many places because they cost around $2,500.00 new.

Advertisement