HELP Rigid Pressure Washer Not Running Properly - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HELP Rigid Pressure Washer not running properly

I have a ridgid Pressure washer model rd80746 that is not able to keep running. When I set the choke, turn on and pull to start it will start running on the first pull. (always has) but when i try to let off the choke it will abruptly stop. I have checked the carb and sprayed with cleaner, sheck the fuel lines, drained and refilled them. I went as far as to put a new sparkplug in a 2 year old engine that has maybe 30 hours on it. The oil in the system (engine) is at the right level and clean. Now I am left with the option of "bad pump" my thinking is that if the pump is either extremly corroded or siezed once the choke is removed it would stall the engine. I have been looking at parts and it seems that ridgid only sells the pump as a complete unit no repair parts. The pump sells for about $98.00 and since new the pressure washer was around 500-600 I dont mind paying to replace it. I just want to make sure that I am looking at the right part.

Advertisement

dsfcb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

What make pump is on the unit? Some pumps are really anchors for a boat. That is how good they are. Best iCat, followed by General, A/R and finally Comet. Did you run antifreeze before storing through the pump?

Advertisement

CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,304

Definitely sounds like a pump gone bad. That's what happens........the motor shuts off on the first squeeze of the trigger.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Before you go and buy anything, try these: Drain the gas in the tank, even if you consider it "new". Put fresh gas in, about 1/2 a tank. Add approximately 2 tablespoons of "Seafoam", available at most any auto store. Find a way to secure the wand of the pressure washer, really good. Find a way to tie the handle of the wand back so the water will spray out with just the garden hose attached. Now, IMPORTANT--look to see how much water is coming out of the wand, then try to crank the pressure washer. IF the water sort of spurts, slows down, and spurts--then the pump may be working. IF the unit does start you will not have a "dead head" start as most units do. This is hard on pumps and people. IF the unit does start and continues to run, let it. It will wash out any small/tiny particles within the pump IF they are there. But then again: IF it doesn't start, and the water does not change from a steady flow to a "spurting" flow, a new pump may be in order.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #5

Tennis ball works well to hold nozzle open, just be sure it is secured safely.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for the tips, but I am now sure that the pump is out, because now the motor has starting running (great I might ad) but now when it is running there is absolutely no change in the water pressure. Every where I read I was told that Ridgid pressure washer pumps have no repairable parts.
dsfcb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #7

Is it a horizontal or vertical shaft engine. If horizontal look for a Comet pump to replace the present. 4 bolts to remove and replace
Old 11-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #8

Not sure where you are located but a Honda/Cat Pump on CL under Phila tools. right now for $225
Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

IF you have determined that the pump is not working properly and you need to get a new one, use this as a learning opportunity. Remove the pump, take it apart and see if the valves in it may have something hung up in them or a spring is broke, etc. Then IF you don't find anything rather obvious, replace the pump. By taking a bad pump apart and seeing what is inside and how it works, you have learned something from you bad experience.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote