DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

help with my jammed framing nailer

11K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  BigJim 
#1 ·
I have a pneumatic porter and cable framer. I've used it for about 5 years without a problem.

Today my hired help tried to use it when I was not home. He told me he hooked it up, put it against a 2x4, and it shot out a nail but bounced the gun away from the stud with great force. Afterwards, the nail head was wedged on TOP of the nail guide between it and the nose casting (I'm not sure about the terminology here).

It's really jammed in there good. I've tried to use pliers. The slide moves back and forth no problem but the gun won't fire, with or without nails in the magazine.

I'm adding a picture... I appreciate any advice on fixing this....

http://s9.postimg.org/3latj3zxr/20140109_161440.jpg

Cheers,
G

#2 ·
You might want to pull the head off and see if the plunger went through the top of the piston, I have had that happen to one or two of my guns. I would say your gun is pretty well worn, you might want to replace it.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Can't really tell from the picture what is wrong. Is the nail still stuck in the gun? It won't fire that way, and it would be dangerous to do so. If the nail is stuck in there the driver may still be jammed in the extended position as well (why it won't fire). You will need to get the jammed nail out by dis-assembling the nose mechanism (not sure on that gun).

Sounds like the operator did not have the air turned up far enough or used enough pressure to keep the gun from bouncing.

#8 ·
Is there a more detailed explanation on how to do this? I don't really want to throw away such a nice, expensive gun...

Where exactly is the pin and driver?

Sorry for sounding like such a novice- I've used this gun for 5 years without incident and never really understood exactly how it fired.

#10 ·
The driving pin the the thing that pushes the nail---it is sticking out along side the mashed nail-----it needs to be driven back up into the head of the gun-

Once it is back where it belongs--the nail will be easier to remove---

Google a picture of the gun parts---the driving pin is attached to the piston---

#14 ·
Which gun do you have there are several different guns of the same brand.
I don't know if this is your gun or not but look at the exploded view on the far left, the plunger is the thing that looks like a flat piece about 1/4 inch wide by about 5 0r 6 inches long.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.