Help Deciding On House/DIY Cordless Drill. - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help deciding on house/DIY cordless drill.

My 10yr old Craftsman (13.3V)bit the dust and need a new cordless drill. This will just be for around the house and Do-It-Yourself projects (not a professional work tool). I'm not sure on size (12V, 14.4V, 18V) or make/model. It's been so long that I'm not sure how powerful the lower volt models are anymore.. Could the new 12V models be more powerful than my old 13.3V Craftsman?

Here is what I am looking for after handling a few:

1. Power/Torque - Strong enough to drive up to 30 2" screws at a time into wood (high end of screw useage)

2. Size - Lighter/Smaller is better. (My old drill was pretty heavy/big and would wear out my arm if doing things over my head or be too big to get into tight places)

3. Looking to keep under $150 MAX

Of the ones I was able to hold locally (Craftsman, Black & Decker, Dewalt, Hitachi and Bosch) the Hitachi felt the best in hand.

Thanks for all the help!
John

Advertisement

hawk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Ive been going strong with my Dewalt 9.6 volt for the past several years and it has performed well for alot of projects. The batteries are just now biting the dust. It is light and small and easy to fit in tighter spaces. There have been moments when I needed more torque for driving screws into lumber but it has served me well, yet I think I would move up to a 12v or 14.4 for my next one. My dad and brother have 18 volt cordless drills and they are monsters, too big imo for sustained or repetative work.

Advertisement

creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I personally like the 18v for the torque but a 14 might do what you need. Check out some with the lithium ion batteries, they are way lighter and last longer. I'm a dewalt fan and just say no to anything at the orange place by ridgid.
organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

If they price is not too big of a difference, get the highest. I have a 12v mastercraft and it's done it's time and it's still going, but I would not mind a bit more power. I ended up buying a Dewalt plug-in drill for the tougher jobs but in a way it's handy to have two drills so when I'm doing any kind of screwing I can have both out, one to do pilot holes and the other to do the actual screwing. No need to keep changing bits.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Would it be better to get a smaller lighter dedicated drill for drilling holes (12v-14.4v) and more powerful (18v) impact driver for screws/bolts? Or do you think I would be fine getting a 14.4 drill/driver to do both? Like I said, I'm not a professional and want to keep under $150 US. As I understand, you are really buying the batteries and getting a free drill for the most part, so is that where I should look?
hawk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

For small jobs I'd just get one. I used my 12v as my primary drill for a long time. It's only when I bought a house and needed to make 1 inch electrical holes in joists that I realized I needed more power.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote