Half-Dead Flashlight Batteries - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 11-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,179

Half-Dead Flashlight Batteries

Half-dead flashlight batteries drive me nuts. I hate to throw away anything that still has life in it, but if I spend 40 bucks to get a decent flashlight, I don't want to be walking around with half-dead batteries in it. They fade so gradually, though, I don't realize they are half dead. Until I really need them to perform.

I like how my cell phone works. It works 100% perfect until I get down to 5% battery. Then the screen dims and I can kind of squeeze a little more out of it, but there is no doubt it needs attention. Why can't my flashlight do that? That would be ideal.

What about lithium batteries? Or rechargeable? Are those worth it?

Advertisement

mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #2

Re: Half-Dead Flashlight Batteries

I'm pretty sure I just saw a fox in my yard! Not something you really see in my part of NJ. I think I have only seen 2 before in my life. And this one was so close. I wanted to get a good look at it, but my flashlight just didn't have the power it should. So frustrating!

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2016, 02:02 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 766

Get an LED flashlight.

Not only will it last 5-6x longer than a flashlight with an incandescent bulb, it will keep it's brightness longer as the batteries go down...and if you drop it, much less chance of the bulb breaking.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 690

My best flashlight runs off my Milwaukee M18 batteries. I still have a maglight but it is getting awfully dusty.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
My best flashlight runs off my Milwaukee M18 batteries. I still have a maglight but it is getting awfully dusty.
Interesting! I have a bunch of Dewalt 18v tools. Those batteries are always charged. But their lights do not appeal to me at all. I think they just make them so they can advertise one more tool in the kits. They don't even offer an LED light! I definitely want that.

I've been starting to eye a little 12v Milwaukee drill driver. But I never really gave their lights a second thought. This one actually looks awesome:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2355-20

800 lumens. Adjustable beam. Battery indicator. Rechargeable batteries that maybe I could also use in some other tools and always have ready. Jobsite tough. Yep. That is pretty much my dream flashlight right there.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Get an LED flashlight.

Not only will it last 5-6x longer than a flashlight with an incandescent bulb, it will keep it's brightness longer as the batteries go down...and if you drop it, much less chance of the bulb breaking.
Gotta agree with ddawg. I have a small LED flashlight that is about 3x brighter than what used to be the standard just a few years ago. It has 2 rechargeable batteries that last about a 1/2 hour per charge if they are left on continually which I do as I use it on my bicycle for night riding. If you don't have to use them continually, they seem to stay charged up for months at a time. Usually you can buy a VERY decent LED flashlight for $15 - $20.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,340

LED mag lite with eneloop rechargeable batteries, only way to go.
MTN REMODEL LLC and r0ckstarr like this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Gotta agree with ddawg. I have a small LED flashlight that is about 3x brighter than what used to be the standard just a few years ago. It has 2 rechargeable batteries that last about a 1/2 hour per charge if they are left on continually which I do as I use it on my bicycle for night riding. If you don't have to use them continually, they seem to stay charged up for months at a time. Usually you can buy a VERY decent LED flashlight for $15 - $20.
I have a baseball hat that is about 3x brighter than what used to be the standard just a few years ago. I want a flashlight that can kill weeds in the garden. I want a flashlight that can melt snow on my sidewalk. I want a flashlight that I can use to fire pottery.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 680

You want a small SUN in your hand?

Where you from KRYPTON?

Or do you have heat resistant gloves.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
You want a small SUN in your hand?

Where you from KRYPTON?

Or do you have heat resistant gloves.

ED
That might be overkill. But nuclear fusion is not a bad idea.

Seriously, though, a $20 flashlight tis great for camping or walking the dog. It goes about 5 feet. It isn't going to do much to light up a fox across the yard.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 394

For a lot of power and long lasting batteries you need a big flashlight. Small flashlights won't give you a lot of run time on the high power setting, especially when powered by AA or AAA batteries.

I like the 3 D cell LED Maglites. If you want rechargeable, I'd use NiMH batteries in it, not NiCad.

If the use is primarily lighting up the foxes in the yard, you might consider a hand held spot light, as opposed to a conventional flashlight.
de-nagorg likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 120

Buy a Fenix Pd35 Tac. Less than $80.00 on Amazon.com. Five brightness settings, two or three of which I guarantee you will never need unless your in the woods or search and rescue. I bought two of this brands other flashlights. One was $300 and the other was about $500. Returned both because it was ridiculous how bright they were. They are made in China, but they are a Chinese company. Very high quality. In other words it's not a US company having products made in China for cheap. By the way, I don't normally respond to something like this but I love this thing. You will too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jamesonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #13

The light I keep in my tool bag now is decent when it has fresh batteries in it. I just have a thing about changing the batteries. So it is good for a week and then really crappy for the next 4 months.

I used to have a rechargeable spotlight. I dunno what happened to that. I think that only had a 12v charger, so it was awkward to charge. It was too bulky anyway.

I've had a few different flavors of rechargeable batteries and I have not been too impressed. But I haven't tried that recently. That might be worth a shot again. Technology keeps getting better.

I think my next move is getting myself two sets of rechargeable AAA's. The modern chargers should be smart enough that you can just leave the batteries in there. Then I can swap them out as often as I want, guilt free. I'll check out those eneloop ones.
ChuckF. likes this.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 110

I bought this 850 lumen flashlight a few months ago, great value at $12.88, and it uses 3-C cells. A year or two ago this would have been $50-60. The rate of progress on stuff like this is fun to watch.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-8...BF01/206091479

Re old mostly used up batteries, I've found that all those TV-and-other remotes you have around the house are not very fussy about voltage output of the batteries. If they aren't lighting up your flashlight like they used to, they'll run the remote for a couple of years.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 120

Eco 8 lumens / 140 hours
Low 60 lumens / 29h 15 min
Mid 200 lumens / 8h 30 min
High 500 lumens / 2h 55 min
Turbo 1000 lumens / 1h 10 min

Also, the price I mentioned in previous post includes Li-ion battery and charger.

I have several small and a couple large maglites. All collecting dust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Jamesonc is offline   Reply With Quote