Guidance On Buying A MultiTool - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

Guidance on Buying a MultiTool

It's been recommended that I get a multi-tool for a particular project I'm working on, so I'm breaking down and buying one.

I'll probably use it off and on to do various projects, so I want to get a decent one, but it doesn't have to be top-of-the-line.

I'm thinking corded, as I'll probably be near an electrical outlet whenever I use it, and I'd like the extra power. Anything else I should consider?

In terms of brands, someone said that they had a Craftsman, and it had worked well for them for a few years.

Another recommended Fein, which seems pricey but gets good reviews, and I think I can get a starter kit that will only cost an arm.

Others I'm looking at are Porter-Cable, Rigid, and Dremel. I'm a little leery of Dremel because of its hobbyist roots, but they seem to be moving to meet more robust demands and might be OK. Rigid has a lifetime guarantee, and a free attachment until 12/26, so that's attractive. And Porter-Cable seems to just make good tools.

Any feedback on any of the above? Anything else I should consider?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Richard

Advertisement

RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 660

Needs to be moved to tools.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

It seems like you have a "multi-tool" in mind... can you post a link or something? Saying "mulit-tool" isn't like saying "table-saw", it's like saying "cutting tool"... a little broad.

What project are you intending to work on? This would help with the feedback.
jmd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 660

I own two of the Rockwell Multi Crafters and love them.
If I was in the market for another on I might try the Ridgid. Reasons being as you stated, long warrenty, now offered with the ablity to just snap on differant heads for differant jobs.
My impact driver and ossilating tool are two of my main go to tools.
Take the Dremal right off of your list, your right it's little more then a toy.
Your going to find the blades for any of the ossilating tools way over priced.
I found a company on Amazon.com that sells the blades for about 1/3 if you buy 15 at a time.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,684

I have a rockwell and am not really crazy about it. I don't have one but I have been looking at the Ridgid just for the fact of the different heads (7 I think) that you can get to fit it. This I feel would make it An even more versatile tool.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

Bought the Dermel one because I thought I needed it that day and that was the only quick choice at that moment. The thing is junk imo. Seems more like a toy than a tool.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

Moved to tools forum.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

I bought a Harbor Freight one--the better of the two that they sell----$40 on sale---

Darn tough tool--I recommend it---Blades ar cheaper than other brands,too.

I use it for---tile squeeze up---cutting hard old caulk--PVC pipe--undercutting trim--and more
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

the dremel is a toy for a reason.. plastic gears and thin low gauge wiring..
the porter cable is the exact same tool as the black and decker along with the stanley fatmax.. all made by the same company not to mention since pc quality went out the window 6 years ago when black and decker bought them out

i own the cordless ridgid and the corded bosch multix 2.5 the bosch is the only competition for the fein who originated the tool then the patent ran out so almost everyone makes them. my bosch is a beast it cuts faster than the new dewalt 12v recip saws. with the rigid ive had 3 batteries go stale in a short life span, i was expecting far more charge cycles before they died considering its lith ion.. though rigid tools are known for this along with milwuakee who are from teh same parent company.. also the rigids are really bad for the sawdor on the trigger going bad early on. .both the local home depots and the rigid repair centre have seen a ton of them come back with this problem

if i were to buy another one id be getting hte bosch again or the makita, two companies that are known for putting out quality not quantity of tools
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
Plastic gears and thin wire mean "burn up fast" to me. Never got that far, for a hundred bucks I was hoping it would at least pretend to be a tool, for a little while anyway.

I bought it because I thought it would be perfect for ultra fine tuning of exposed notches (after chain saw and Sawzall) on a log cabin I built last winter. What a joke, back to a sharp chisel.

I have ZERO patience for tools that donít perform and will gladly pay twice the price (or more) to not deal with junk, just wasn't in the cards that day.

Just my experience with that one tool.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-12-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

I like my dremel tool but I don't use it for crazy things. I don't see it as a substitute for a drum sander or a cutting wheel like they seem to encourage on the TV commercials! It's a small tool for detail work.

Some people do not know that Dremel makes several different rotary tools. The one I own cost about $100 (with some accessories) and it is clearly a bit better than the $30 one. I'd guess if you had driven F350s and 3500HDs but the only Dodge you ever drove was a Dart, you probably wouldn't have a favorable opinion of Dodge, either!
jeffsw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

I've got the Milwaukee M12 Cordless one and it works very well but has short battery life. If you can live with that you should be good with it. For corded I've heard good things about the Harbor Freight units - can't beat the cost if you're not using it day in and day out.

Quote:
the porter cable is the exact same tool as the black and decker along with the stanley fatmax.. all made by the same company not to mention since pc quality went out the window 6 years ago when black and decker bought them out
Interesting - Dremel is owned by Bosch and B&D/PC/Stanley/Dewalt is Black and Decker so I'd have thought they would not source from the same factories...
itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 256

I would check out what the blades cost and what ones they have where you are.

I got a fein and it's great and the cheaper 3rd party blades I can get at menards fit it.
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

kwik im the same way.. 99% of my tools are high quality.. the 1% of low grade tools are things that i might use once every two years.. i have a super cheapy rotary tool thats store brand. bought it solely for messing around with carving and for tuning up coped joints.. when im on commercial jobs ive used it for reaming out holes for peep holes in doors because the actual unit doesnt have a drill bit size that matches it so i have to use the closest bit size smaller then grind it out a touch for it to fit.. next bit size up is too big
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
bpm

Rewards Points: 27

I have the Bosch corded and highly recommend it. The Fein seems to be the best out there, but is very pricey. I've also used the Dremel and probably would have it thrown it in the trash if it belonged to me. It was very hot to hold and I could still feel the vibration in my hand for an hour afterwards.

Advertisement

bpm is offline   Reply With Quote