Glazing? Lapping? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,184

Glazing? Lapping?

I was jokingly thinking that it was probably 40-50 years ago, until I realized that it really was that far back, that I remember my dad showing me how to put a neat swirl affect on something metal, can't remember what now, using a dowel in a drill chuck. The finish looked about like you see on the bolt of some rifles for anyone that makes sense to. My memory tells me that he referred to it as glazing compound, but I'm not seeing anything on the internet that clicks. It was in a small tub, similar to axle grease, and was a paste with a very fine grit. And I guess that it may have been valve lapping compound, but that was obviously common at that time, and I am pretty sure I would have remembered that, so am thinking that this was something different. Anyway, wondering if anyone knows what the heck I am thinking of.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

Glazing? Lapping?

Valve lapping -engines

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

Glazing? Lapping?

Loctite Clover, maybe?
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #4

Glazing? Lapping?

Tarheel, it could be valve lapping compound, and it was similar in nature, so I will probably run a few tests with it. But, as I mentioned, that was fairly common at that time, in fact I pretty much assumed that every dad could overhaul an engine, or at least a neighbor could, because things were, well, different then, and I'm thinking that this was something more unique. RBF (I like that name by the way), it looks like they have a variety of products, so will read through them and see what the local Grainger's, etc. carry. Dad was a millwright, keeping 100-200 ton presses running in those days, so am wondering if it may have been something that they used for final fitting of certain parts, but this was a small tub, so not sure. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,696

Glazing? Lapping?

The term you may be looking for is Jeweled Finish. Lapping compound was used and I've used emery tape adhered to a dowel. My son still has an old Disston hand saw I jeweled for him several years ago. It was a little rusty but that made it a real Jewel.

BTW that lapping compound on valves probably sold more sets of piston rings than any other single thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jewe...iw=864&bih=436
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 129

Glazing? Lapping?

I've also seen it called 'engine turning'. You use a dowel with either a paste abrasive or small sandpaper discs. I've seen it on the metal dashes of hot rods. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_turning
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #7

Glazing? Lapping?

Yup, looks like engine turning and/or jeweling is in the right ballpark. Thank you guys. Thinking back, I figured that it must have been a process that dad was working on at the shop at that time, as they did a fair amount of custom work, so hard telling, but the images that these searches brought up are exactly what I remember him showing me. I should have thought of these myself, but two examples familiar to a lot of people are the Spirit of St. Louis and hotrod dash boards. Well, nothing pressing, but something that I will dabble a bit with as I have some time over the winter, and now I have a starting point. Again, thank you.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 218

Glazing? Lapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Yup, looks like engine turning and/or jeweling is in the right ballpark. Thank you guys. Thinking back, I figured that it must have been a process that dad was working on at the shop at that time, as they did a fair amount of custom work, so hard telling, but the images that these searches brought up are exactly what I remember him showing me. I should have thought of these myself, but two examples familiar to a lot of people are the Spirit of St. Louis and hotrod dash boards. Well, nothing pressing, but something that I will dabble a bit with as I have some time over the winter, and now I have a starting point. Again, thank you.
Around here it's called engine turning. My 61 Studebaker has it on the dash panel,and around 1976 or so,Pontiac Trans Am used it on the dash.
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Glazing? Lapping?

Quote:
. . . . ..how to put a neat swirl affect on something metal. . . . . .
Lots of ways but it depends on which metal, smoothness, and look.
http://www.finishing.com/454/92.shtml
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,296

Glazing? Lapping?

Quote:
I was jokingly thinking that it was probably 40-50 years ago, until I realized that it really was that far back, that I remember my dad showing me how to put a neat swirl affect on something metal, can't remember what now, using a dowel in a drill chuck. The finish looked about like you see on the bolt of some rifles for anyone that makes sense to. My memory tells me that he referred to it as glazing compound, but I'm not seeing anything on the internet that clicks. It was in a small tub, similar to axle grease, and was a paste with a very fine grit. And I guess that it may have been valve lapping compound, but that was obviously common at that time, and I am pretty sure I would have remembered that, so am thinking that this was something different. Anyway, wondering if anyone knows what the heck I am thinking of.

Ayuh,.... Glazin' compound is what We used to putty in a single pane window to the frame,....

Engine Turnin', is done with valve grindin' compound, 'n a dowel,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #11

Glazing? Lapping?

Oh yeah, believe me when I say that I have had plenty of experience with glazing windows, so know exactly what you are referring to. Engine turning and jeweling look like what I had in mind, but, again, I'm going back 40-50 years ago, so not so sure but what my memory is correct, and that terminology may have changed a little bit in that time. Maybe it has passed it's peak, because it seems less common today, but I have always liked it.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

Glazing? Lapping?

If the valve lapping compound is too coarse for the metal you are polishing, you might try rubbing compound, as is used to polish car paint. Or Simichrome. Polishing rouge comes in several grits. Try the Eastwood Company. http://www.eastwood.com/
http://www.eastwood.com/five-compound-tube-set.html

Advertisement

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote