Getting Started... - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Getting started...

Hey guys,

My wife and I are moving into our first house next month (if all goes to plan) and there's a decent amount of work to do, from plumbing, electrical, flooring, landscaping, etc.

I'm looking to start building my toolset and wondered if I could get a few recommendations. I was planning on getting things bit by bit - I saw a few of the 18v lithium ion kits on amazon that contain a bunch of things, but after doing some reading, it sounds like a lot of tools are better off corded.

For getting started, I was thinking of getting a decent 18v cordless drill, a corded oscillating multi-tool and maybe a corded sawzall?

Any recommendations?

Advertisement

wixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,544

Getting started...

dewalt make a 18 volt kit ......great to have about 500.00 bills though...all kinds of hand tools...levels 2',4',6'....ben sr

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,520

Getting started...

I'd wait and buy tools as you actually need them for a specific project, that way you're not spending money on things you may never use.

As projects come up buy the tools you'll need to do it right. Many times the tools needed won't even have a battery or a cord but still cost bucks all the same.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-13-2013 at 07:10 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 606

Getting started...

I find the multi-piece battery kits very handy.
I have a battery powered circular saw and a corded one. I will reach for the battery powered circular saw, rather than the corded one, pretty much every time. Its so much lighter, and no hassle of digging out the extension cord. (ditto for my corded drill and battery drill) For repairs and minor improvements, the battery powered tools are fine. When you decide to build the deck or fence, however, it will be time for a corded saw.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 608

Getting started...

I own at least three of ever tool anyone could ever want.
My go tool tools are my set of Ryobi 18 volt cordless tools I bought many years ago.
They cost less then 1/2 or what one of the other big named tool sets cost.
Even the battery's cost then 1/2 what most other company's charge.
A few of the tools I feel any DIY should have is an impact driver. I use mine to drive screws, nuts, bolts. And it can even drill holes.
An oscillating saw. I happen to have the Rockwell Multi Crafter.
A random orbital sander.
A corded ciruler saw. Do not waste your money on a cheap $50.00 one!
A good set of combination wrenches.
A set of screw drivers.
Claw hammer.
Northern Tools sells a drill and bit set for less then $70.00 that will have every size drill bit, hole saw, paddle bit, nail sets, ECT. you will ever need.
Torpedo, 2', 4' levels.
Mini and regular tubing cutters.
Pipe Wrenches.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Getting started...

Joe is being modest.....besides 3 of each....he has tools from the cave man era....

A big vote from me on the cordless 18v kits. Pick one brand and stick with it...that way your batteries work on all of them.

Personally, for the home DIY'r....I think the Ryobi is the best value....they have more tools that use the same battery than anyone else....like the edger.....

Yes....your going to want some corded tools....specifically a corded 1/2" drill and skill saw.

But.....the #1 tool........

Shop vac......get one that has a 2 1/2" hose.

Next.....leaf blower....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Getting started...

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'll look more into the 18v sets. I was under the impression that I should stick to corded for certain tools, but I think the 18v sets will be more than enough power for the time being.
wixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,628

Getting started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixman View Post
Thanks for the advice guys!

I'll look more into the 18v sets. I was under the impression that I should stick to corded for certain tools, but I think the 18v sets will be more than enough power for the time being.
They will handle all but the tough jobs. I used my Ryobi cordless drill with a 2 9/16" self feed bit yesterday- just to see if it would handle it. It did too
But I wouldn't use it to drill all my plumbing holes in a complete house.
Thats where my Dewalt 1/2" offset drill comes in.
When you pick your cordless out- just make sure you have enough batteries.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Getting started...

If your building you set consider going to the 20v system with DeWALT. You may find over time that the 18v system will slowly disappear and the only thing offered may be bare tools and separate battery packs. That's just my opinion though. Also, when it comes to the Multi-tools or Oscillating, buy corded. Even the mfg reps speak highly of the corded models over the cordless. If you have any questions let me know, we are a full line DeWalt, Porter Cable and Makita Dealer. Good luck

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-14-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Removed link
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 266

Getting started...

Actually I do not think there are any "musts" in tools, only my opinion of course. We find what we are comfortable with and like to use.

I use to buy DeWalt cordless tools, till I got sick of buying expensive replacement batteries that did not last. That was years ago, Dewalt may have changed?

I have had a Ryobi 18V set for a long time, may be the best bang for the buck out there?

Is corded better, well yes and no, depends what you want to do with it? Knowing what I know today and was starting over again I would buy the full set of 18V Ryobi tools, can always add other tools. The first addition would be a decent $100+ circular saw. The cordless is great, but not making multiple cuts in sheets of plywood.

A couple times I have wished I had a corded sawzall, but I have yet to buy one, maybe someday. I did buy a corded hammer drill.

HTH JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Getting started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Actually I do not think there are any "musts" in tools, only my opinion of course. We find what we are comfortable with and like to use.

HTH JIm
Shop vac is a must....without one, you 'must' use the wife's vacuum....which means she 'must' spend money for a new vac because you ruined her vac with the drywall dust....

I can not imagine NOT having a shop vac...or two....

So I consider it to be a 'must'.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 79

Getting started...

If you can afford it, I would consider getting an HEPA vac. We have a regular shop vac, but had to get an HEPA vac when the new lead laws went into effect. Wow, what a difference. Doesn't clog. Full suction right up until the bag is full. And the bag holds a ton!

We probably choose the HEPA shop vac over the regular shop vac 4 out of 5 times.

Advertisement

MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote