Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

Generator break-in

Hi;
I just bought a portable generator. The Westinghouse WH5500.
The manual says change the oil after the first 20 hours of use or 1 month, then every 50 hours or 3 months.
I also did some reading in a forum or two online, and some say that break-in should be in two or three steps, and can be quite complicated.
One thread seems to indicate that you should change the oil after only 5hrs of running at 50% or lower load. Use of a conventional oil rather than a synthetic seems prudent here to save cost.
After the 1st 5hrs, change and run at 50% for another 10 hrs then change the oil again? The second time using the synthetic (probably 5W 30).

Is it really necessary to change the oil out twice during the first 20 hrs of use, even if the manual does not say that you must. And what about running under load? The manual doesn't say anything about the load during the break-in period.

Any suggestions, since I have not yet taken delivery of the generator, and want to try to do everything right.

Thanks

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #2

Generator break-in

Last engine I broke in was a suburu robin on a billygoat f601s leaf blower. Manusl stated oil change at 20hrs but I did it at 5. Put in conventional oil and the next chsnge used Mobil one synthetic. After 5 hrs the oil was black and slightly thick due to the greases and break on compounds in engine after it was assembled at factory. Plus I really varied the throttle for the first 5 hours so engine ran at differant speeds.

toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Generator break-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Hi;
I just bought a portable generator. The Westinghouse WH5500.
The manual says change the oil after the first 20 hours of use or 1 month, then every 50 hours or 3 months.
I also did some reading in a forum or two online, and some say that break-in should be in two or three steps, and can be quite complicated.
One thread seems to indicate that you should change the oil after only 5hrs of running at 50% or lower load. Use of a conventional oil rather than a synthetic seems prudent here to save cost.
After the 1st 5hrs, change and run at 50% for another 10 hrs then change the oil again? The second time using the synthetic (probably 5W 30).

Is it really necessary to change the oil out twice during the first 20 hrs of use, even if the manual does not say that you must. And what about running under load? The manual doesn't say anything about the load during the break-in period.

Any suggestions, since I have not yet taken delivery of the generator, and want to try to do everything right.

Thanks

FW
Ayuh,.... Safest bet is followin' the manufacturer's Manual,....

Instead of internet legends....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

Generator break-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
The Westinghouse WH5500.
The manual says change the oil after the first 20 hours of use or 1 month
These generators are made to be taken right out of the box, started up, and used to power someone's home during a power outage. Just follow the instruction manual.

I have a similar-size, similar-duty generator. I change the oil every 3 months (unless I use it more often than usual) and clean the spark plug. There are some additional maintenance procedures in my manual for adjusting the valve clearance and maybe other things, and I ask a friend to do those procedures once in the spring. Besides that, I try to run the engine for an hour or so a month if I'm not using it for a while.

I've had this generator for several years and I use it for all sorts of things. I've definitely got my money's worth out of it. You probably will too. Best thing I probably do to keep it working right is I put a piece of tape on the generator that I write when I last changed the oil so I won't forget.
jeffsw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Generator break-in

Like Bondo said, follow the manufacturer's recommendation on oil change and break in. You also want to follow it for oil type and weight. Generators run at a constant governed RPM, so there is no varying speed during break in. The only thing you can vary is the amount of load you apply to it.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
In a little over my head

Generator break-in

Follow the manual. BUT, I do like to change the oil on ANY new engine after a few heat cycles. So, I like the initial 5 hour idea, with cheap oil, then use your favorite oil and follow directions. YMMV

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote