Generator - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

generator

Hi

I recently bought a house and at the moment I donít have electricity so I borrowed my fatherís generator 4.2kva (18 amps @240v). I have a 3 HP air compressor (9 amps when running). I tried the compressor on the generator (when the compressor was empty) and it did start and worked properly but then when I retried to start the compressor from half full with air it was just turning to start for a few second and it did not start completely ( I guess because of the extra load). I was wondering if there is something I can do to so I can use the air compressor without damaging anything.

Dose increasing the capacitor of the air compressor do any better or it will damage the compressorís motor in the long run?
i know that the best solution is to buy a bigger generator but do you have Any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisement

jsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

generator

How much ext cord are you using? Try plugging compressor directly into generator (no extension cord) see if that makes any diff. If so, get a longer air hose and ditch the extension cord. the other option is renting a gas powered compressor ( you should be able to get one pretty cheap on a monthly rental, or pick up a used one on craigs list)

As for adding capacitors, I seem to remember there was a great thread on this a few months ago.
Found it, may not directly answer your question, but worth reading, and worthy of a bump
Air Compressor blowing start capacitors?

Advertisement

Last edited by Mr Chips; 07-05-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: found helpful thread
Mr Chips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

generator

maybe adjust the startup pressure? so it runs down more before refilling.

how about a cetrifugal clutch on the end of the electric mootr, like they use on small gas engines?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Nailerman

Rewards Points: 10

generator

Compressors are not recommended to run off generators because it can burn up the motor. I would look into purchasing a gas compressor.

AL
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote