Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Framing nailers in general

Im not sure if this is the right kind of question to ask here, so if its not then a moderator can take it down. Im just an average homeowner with some projects I need to get done. I want a framing nailer but don't need the pro level. Im looking at two that have really decent user reviews. Surebonder framing nailer model 9772 & another brand called NuMax.

I think the surbonder has a slight edge over the Numax, but the NuMax has very good reviews & is less in cost. The cost of these guns run from about $90. for NUMax and from $113-140 for the Surbond depending on where or who you buy it from. NuMax you need to change out trigger parts to go between bump & sequential fire. I have no need for the rapid fire sequential so thats not an issue, but Im not in favor of those O rings used in the trigger which could cause air leaks. Beyond that I think is a pretty good gun overall. Anyone have any advice or opinions on either of these guns for a guy who wont be using it every day of the week. And Im pretty good with not abusing my tools & everything I own is maintained.
Thanks.

maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 548

Never used either one but I do know a lot of people have shot themselves with nailers. You do know you need to get a compressor with them. I would chose the one that got the most and best reviews.

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robpo For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
Never used either one but I do know a lot of people have shot themselves with nailers. You do know you need to get a compressor with them. I would chose the one that got the most and best reviews.
Yes- I know you need an air compressor. I have one three times larger than what is needed for a framing nailer. Yes a lot of people shoot themselves accidently. I also know people who can't walk & chew gum at the same time Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 748

Make sure the nails they use are readily available in your area. Or can use several different brands of nails.Not all framing nails fit all guns.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,236

If you're just using it occasionally, the Central Pneumatic framing nailers from Harbor Freight are decent enough. I've had mine for about 3 years and the only problem I have had is nails jamming from my underpowered air compressor. Give 'em a look-see.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

I would give the Harbor Freight a look as well. As long as you keep it oiled it should work just fine.

I have the Campbell Hausfield bundled packed that HD was selling. I got 3 nailers (framing, finishing and brad) along with the compressor for about $300. The nailers have built a 2 story garage and 2 story addition. The compressor didn't make it though.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Make sure the nails they use are readily available in your area. Or can use several different brands of nails.Not all framing nails fit all guns.
Thanks. That's good advice. I did check my area & I don't think I will have any issues with nails or the available sizes that I need. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #8

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
If you're just using it occasionally, the Central Pneumatic framing nailers from Harbor Freight are decent enough. I've had mine for about 3 years and the only problem I have had is nails jamming from my underpowered air compressor. Give 'em a look-see.
Thanks. I have taken a look at them at the local HF store out here. But if I had to make a choice between th HF & the NuMax, I would go with the NuMax. There's just something in general that bugs me about HF stuff. It's not their nailer or any other tool. But when you buy-let's say a 4 inch grinder from HF on sale for $14 bucks, & you know that the cheapest you can get one at general retailers start around $50 bucks, it just makes me wonder a wee bit how they can do that. Maybe paying people in china less than 10 cents an hour does it. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog1 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I would give the Harbor Freight a look as well. As long as you keep it oiled it should work just fine.

I have the Campbell Hausfield bundled packed that HD was selling. I got 3 nailers (framing, finishing and brad) along with the compressor for about $300. The nailers have built a 2 story garage and 2 story addition. The compressor didn't make it though.
The only tool I ever owned made by CH was a electric power washer & that thing outlasted the next three power washers I bought after it finally failed. It lasted about three years more than it should have & I used the crap out of it. The CH nailers you got were a good deal. But the problem with CH is there is no consistency in the quality of their product. If the parts they get to put a nailer or anything else together are within spec, you get a really good tool at a very affordable price. But then if you happen to get the one that was made on Monday morning or friday afternoon--your screwed. That's been my experience with them. But I guess you can say that about anything these days.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,024

Realizing you don't need a production nailer.... but by the same token you probably don't want some unknown POS that most of us have never heard of..... maybe reliable or maybe impossible to find generac nails or a repair kit.

I'd spend the extra $15 for a PC (Porter Cable) 350... just a non fancy tried and true piece of equipment. (You can probably find campatible nails at your local Walgreens (just kidding).

I've let that puppy fall from rafters, my son using wrong pnematic oil, and it's had no problem in limited ( I'm a GC.... not a framer) use over 10+ years.

Bump can seem to be a production/speed enhancement, and it is, but it can also be a convenient enhancement... I've put that 350 on an extension pole with bump on and leaned out windows nailing siding.

Maybe HFreight has improved.... but I tried one for two days when I needed an extra for a big flooring job, and that pup had a lot of trouble with double firing (extreemly dangerous).... I do use some HF limited use tools, but nail guns.... NO WAY.... (take that back, I do have their pin nailer)

Good luck.... But I'd get relable /safe for your application.

Best

Peter
maddog1 (06-09-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,516

Have never heard of the brands you mentioned. But for the money your talking I would look at Ridgid if Home depot close. I have had mine 7years (hard years) and no problem. Life time warranty and a really liberal return policy would be worth a little more than a no name in my opinion.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (06-09-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Have never heard of the brands you mentioned. But for the money your talking I would look at Ridgid if Home depot close. I have had mine 7years (hard years) and no problem. Life time warranty and a really liberal return policy would be worth a little more than a no name in my opinion.
Yep.... Tools suggestion is better idea than my PC350 for your use.....

(I have a Riged as a backup... never needed/used/opened that I got in a "special buy" with a palm nailer for 99 bucks.)
maddog1 (06-09-2014), ToolSeeker (06-07-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Bought a refurbed Freeman (I think PFN64) finishing nailer for about $74 off . Very easy to use and works flawlessly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
psal217050 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by psal217050 View Post
Bought a refurbed Freeman (I think PFN64) finishing nailer for about $74 off . Very easy to use and works flawlessly.

Thanks for the info. I came across advertising for Freeman & I thought the price was right. Don't think I ever seen one however. Im going to take another look at them. I need the thing for a couple of major projects on my property. So I want something that will get through the work without any issues. Some of these brands like freeman, I never knew about until recently. Sounds like your happy with the referb you got. Good luck !
Thanks
Old 06-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Mine was a finishing nailer and worked great on brick mould. I need a framing nailer too.

psal217050 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psal217050 For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (06-12-2014)