Framing Nailer Of Death! - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 158
Question

Framing Nailer of Death!

Hi, I recently got my first framing nailer, "Northern Industrial 3-in-1 Framing Nailer" from Northern Tool. Admittedly, it is an El-Cheapo, China's Best, but are framing nailers supposed to throw out sparks when they fire? This thing shoots out sparks from the nail head, and worse, it will double fire - sometimes shooting a second nail on top of the first or right next to it. I've had some nails come out looking like Chinese Noodles, one was bent in a complete "U" shape. And, no, I don't have it set on rapid fire. I read on their website customer reviews saying they experienced the same things. Just wondering if all framing nail guns do this or is it because it's an el-cheapo?

BTW, I have a Craftsman finish nailer which works great - no sparks!

Advertisement

Last edited by Oh-Fudge; 09-15-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: addendum
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Framing Nailer of Death!

Sounds like el-cheapo. I have an older senco and a newer powermax, and neither shoot sparks or mangle nails. I especially like the powermax, it's about 2/3 the size of the senco, with more power and less wait. I bought the gun from Hartville Hardware during one of their tool shows, $199 with two free boxes of nails. I chose 3" galvanized ringshanks, so the gun was $100 when you figure the cost of the nails. Nails btw, were made in the USA, good quality.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Framing Nailer of Death!

I guess for a home owner tool that isn't used much it's okay. I can't imagine a tool being so crappy built that it can't put a nail in wood without bending the nail. We use nothing but Hitachi nail guns for framers. Some of them I have are getting close to 10 years old and I've yet to have one worked on. I do the maintenance on them every Saturday morning though. But I maintain my tools unlike most. I even have one of their cheapies which is a basic gun for guys I hire that may not know the business or just lack experience. I've never had a problem with that gun either. You can get one for about $179.00 at Lowes but I'd suggest a tool shop for the best pricing.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 158

Framing Nailer of Death!

I fully admit I bought an el-cheapo. I only needed it for one homeowner type project. Couldn't see spending $$$ on something I'm only going to use maybe every few years. If I were a pro I certainly would not have bought this piece of Chinese junk.

Trapper, the bent nails came from the unwanted double firing of one nail on top of another.
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Framing Nailer of Death!

I have a Senco pneumatic framing nailer that will occasionally spark when firing. I think it's due to the clipped head nails it uses and the way they nest.

It will also double fire occasionally, but that's only when I'm pushing the gun into a tight space. That's operator error though.

The only time I've had it mangle a nail is when I happen to shoot one on top of another. Operator error again.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,182

Framing Nailer of Death!

Ditto Fabrk8r on all counts. My Senco FramePro will spark occasionally, and I have heard others, some with other brands of guns, comment on the same thing, but have never heard or seen it caused by an adverse condition. I have also encountered double taps, but, in general, attribute them to what I refer to as uncontrolled recoil, sometimes caused by working in a tight place, where the geometry of the body may be considerably less than ideal, and other times simply caused by what I refer to the learning curve.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Framing Nailer of Death!

Take it back, swap it for another. Quality of NT and HF tools varies from one tool to the next, sometimes you get a dud, other times you get lucky and get a decent tool.
If you get two bad ones in a row go get your money back. Consistent double firing is an accident waiting to happen, sooner or later you may be digging one of those chinese noodles out of yourself.

Advertisement

ramcr913 is offline   Reply With Quote