Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

fixing dropped air stapler

Hello all,
I recently dropped an old bostitch narrow crown stapler (s32sx). I took the gun apart but could find nothing obviously wrong.

When the trigger is depressed air flows out the exhaust and around the trigger area, but the plunger never fires.

So I replaced the trigger assembly, but that did not fix the problem. Looking at the gun and the parts diagram [1] I can't figure out what else could be the problem.

Does anyone any idea of what might break on an air nailer/stapler when it is dropped?

Thanks in advance,
chip

----------------------------
References:
[1] http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?...2SX&serialNum=

cwebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
(the original)

Sounds like the problem is in the piston/cylinder assembly. Could be a cracked sleeve, jammed piston, or could be as simple as a displaced seal.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Man of many hats

Have you oiled it? Mine will do that occasionally, and 4-5 drops of oil into the air inlet usually solves the problem.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
Have you oiled it? Mine will do that occasionally, and 4-5 drops of oil into the air inlet usually solves the problem.
Yes I applied liberal amounts of oil - that's the first thing I tired since it was the easiest
Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #5

Sometimes rapping the thing against a solid piece of wood will pop it back. Unfortunately, two Bostitch guns that I own have done the same thing and need to be repaired. I won't buy another Bostitch because of it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
Sounds like the problem is in the piston/cylinder assembly. Could be a cracked sleeve, jammed piston, or could be as simple as a displaced seal.
That makes sense. The piston and ring slide freely up/down clyinder, so I'll give the rest of that assembly a closer look and report back.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #7

Thanks for the help. I finally fixed the gun so I thought I would post the solution here in case anyone else has the same issue.

I finally got a hold of another gun and started swapping parts in until I isolated the problem. It turns out there were no broken pieces in the gun, and no seals or O-rings noticeably out of place.

The problem was in the head valve assembly (right under the exhaust port above the cylinder). It is supposed to seal with the top of the cylinder and is held in place by a spring and the bumper/piston stop. When I took apart the head valve, re-greased everything, and put it back together the gun started working normally.

I think the spring that tensions the head valve got bumped out of place slightly in the drop so that it no longer formed a tight seal with the cylinder. Perhaps another hard bump would have also knocked it back in place (as was suggested above).

Many thanks,
chip

Last edited by cwebber; 01-01-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: formatting issues
Old 12-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #8

Thanks for your post on servicing the head valve assembly of an air stapler. I had torn down my Bostich twice with no success and was about to give up when I saw the post. Now it's working fine and one less item in the landfill.

ironimaginings is offline   Reply With Quote