Dustelss Power Sanding Systems - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Yes Master

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Dustelss Power Sanding Systems

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie here, but I’ve been painting since 1979. I’ve done mostly high end custom work and I’m currently an employee for the largest decorators/designers company in my area running their new painting branch. It’s fun and demands perfection, which I love.

I have a bank remodeling job to do mostly during business hours with a time frame of two weeks with fines thereafter. There’s a massive amount of very old wallpaper removal with a heavy brittle glue base. These walls need to be brought up to paint grade and I have a Ben Moore rep on the way. I’m hoping we can prime the glue with oil and skim with lightweight compound. The glue removal will damage the surface thus skimming anyway so locking in the glue is looking like a good alternative.

My question is about sanding the compound. Dust is a major issue. Have any of you used the new dustless sanding equipment on the market? Ex. “The Porter Cable-Loveless Power Sanding System,” or similar power dustless equipment. Cost of equipment is not an issue and I’m hoping one of these systems will solve the problem of a massive amount of dust otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your replies. This board looks like a lot of fun and is a great resource offering invaluable information. All my best wishes to the owner and all the members. I look foreword to posting more as time allows.

Mark

Advertisement

Last edited by MasterStrokes; 09-22-2005 at 08:46 PM.
MasterStrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
aka:awesomedell

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to housedocs

The Porter Cable is a great labor saving tool, but dustless would be a stretch IMO. If you've got a brand new unit with pristinely clean filters on it, you'd do pretty well, but there's still going to be some dust in the air. The only way to really get close to dustless is to wet sand. A few yrs back I bought an inexpensive wet sander unit for a job in a phone switching office bldg. Basically just a hollow plastic handle that served as a water tank and handle, there was a very small piece of plastic hose which attached to the sponge head. Works kinda of like polishing plaster and was best used on mud that was only about 75% dry. Cost was under $100 which I billed to the job and it basically lasted just for the one job. Do some searching on the web, Google & the like, I found & bought it over the web. Good luck.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Where ya been housedocs? Missed ya.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dust-less doesn't mean dust-free
Wet sanding is the only "dust-free" method I have found

I suspect the employees would have a tough time with even a small amount during business hours

Although my P/C "dustless" is older, and I'm sure the newer ones are better, I could never use mine in a place of business during business hours, and based on it's performance, I would not even consider buying a newer one for that type of job

PS Don't get me wrong, less dust is better, but bank employees with computers and allergies and all....
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Yes Master

Thanks for the reply folks. I went with a $275 Loveless sander w/ 16-gallon vac. It takes regular sanding mesh screens and the head replacement is only $28 if it breaks. I’ll let you know how it performs after we test it.

I’ve planned for dust anyway but this should reduce it quite a bit. The wallpaper removals going well and the glue sands to a smooth surface. After we lock it in with a low odor oil primer skimming will be minimal.

If you haven’t tried 3M’s lightweight plastic give it a shot. It has a static cling like no other. If you’re dropping it from a ceiling the plastic clings to the walls eliminating blow up, thus reducing taping it tight. It clings to just about anything like magic. I’ve used it for awhile now and its pricey but worth it in certain situations.

Thanks again for the help. It’s appreciated. Hiya Teetorbilt :D

Mark
Old 09-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterStrokes
I went with a $275 Loveless sander w/ 16-gallon vac. It takes regular sanding mesh screens and the head replacement is only $28 if it breaks. Iíll let you know how it performs after we test it.
Please do
I really would be interested in a review
I have commercial accts like this (customer traffic) and...well, obviously I'd rather not do it at night, or use a more time consuming method if I don't have too
Thanks
Quote:
Iíve planned for dust ...skimming will be minimal...3Mís lightweight plastic......If youíre dropping it from a ceiling the plastic clings to the walls eliminating blow up, thus reducing taping it tight
Sounds like you got it covered
Old 09-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
aka:awesomedell

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
Where ya been housedocs? Missed ya.
I've literally been swamped since about May Teetor, by far this will be my best year ever in business,in fact right now I'm almost looking forward to the winter when things will slow down. Past few weeks I've felt like a one legged man in a butt kickin contest! But I'm not complaining. :D

I would also be interested in hearing how the Loveless sander works out for you Masterstrokes.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:27 PM   #8
Yes Master

We’ll be testing the dustless sander tomorrow if all goes as planned. I’ll write a review and post it here Thursday. Fast shipping, packaged nice, assembly was easy. Everything is plastic except the vac motor. Heck the motor might be plastic too. :o

The vac is advertised 66% quieter from what I remember, but it still had a good bit of noise. It has a neat feature that allows a grate to knock against the post filter bag and unclog it without taking the vac apart.

It'll be in heavy use over the next two days so I’ll let you know the pro’s and con’s.

Mark
Old 10-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Just checking in
Looks like you lost your pig MS
Old 10-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
Tired, Cold, and Damp

How'd it work out Master?
Old 10-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Master, I saw an article a while back that used a plastic 55 gal. drum as a pre-filter prior to entering the vac. Supposedly it saved on vac filters. I use a 2 can system in the shop for the same reason.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #12
Yes Master

I lost my pig. Poor fella. The dustless vac system worked very well with the 110 mesh screens. The 220 screens wore out fast. It doesn’t sand corners very well but in open areas the system worked like a Stevie Nicks dream. Low dust, great suction and the vac comes with all the head attachments except a brush type. It also comes with adapters to hook up small car vac type attachments.

The sanding head tended to want to flip over like a sanding pole does until you get used to it. Sanding is a little slower but considering dust clean up it’s worth the extra time.

Overall I’m very pleased with the system and it’ll be used as necessary. I’m also pleased with the female bank tellers!:D
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #13
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Overall Iím very pleased with the system and itíll be used as necessary. Iím also pleased with the female bank tellers!:D
Man, if you used that in a bank during business hours with few or no complaints, AND it comes with car detailing attachments

Sign me up!

Thanks for the review, and I'm sorry about your pig
I hope he flies his way back soon
Old 10-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #14
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
... comes with all the head attachments except a brush type.
Do you know if you can get one?
...ah never mind, as I'm going to look into this product a little more anyway
Thanks Master
Old 10-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #15
Yes Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift
Do you know if you can get one?
...ah never mind, as I'm going to look into this product a little more anyway
Thanks Master
You know I heard these things are very hard to come by. I have 2 left and would sell you one for $50. You know the round brush head with the hole on the center. It helped get that packed dust out of corners. Wait, I want $75 for it. No, $100. :D

Yes sir, the dustvac worked great. The price vs. labor to clean up dust makes it a great buy. We did have the tiniest film of blow off dust after everything was sanded but I expected that.

Note: They have 2 versions of sanding heads for sale. A hand and pole attachment head. I bought the pole attachment kind but used it mainly as a hand sander without the pole. The suction was so great that it sucked the head to the wall and tended to make it flip if you got in a rush. I prefer sanding previously painted walls with a hand type rigid sander anyway for that extra smoothness so no big deal, but I’ll have the option of attaching a pole if needed.

Update: The vac exploded. We had the bank sparkling clean and I bent over to vac up a paper clip. Kerploof! Everyone within 1 square mile looked like a mime. The mushroom cloud caused the US to go to Defcon One. Do not buy this vac. Huge mistake! :o

It’s a joke OK. Buy the dustvac. Try sleeping with it. I did. Killer hickeys!

Advertisement