Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drillbits

Disclaimer: anyone who is for the ethical treatment of tools- stay away from my house, because I beat up tools regularly.
I'm sick of having incomplete drill bit sets due to my abuse of them and resultant breakage, dulling, and grinding. So, my plan is to have two good full sets- one for wood, and another for metal (and a handful of masonry as I need them). I suppose any old set is sufficient for wood, but metal is where I generally break them. What would you guys recommend as a good set of metal bits that will hold up to serious abuse?

OtisDriftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

drillbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisDriftwood View Post
Disclaimer: anyone who is for the ethical treatment of tools- stay away from my house, because I beat up tools regularly.
I'm sick of having incomplete drill bit sets due to my abuse of them and resultant breakage, dulling, and grinding. So, my plan is to have two good full sets- one for wood, and another for metal (and a handful of masonry as I need them). I suppose any old set is sufficient for wood, but metal is where I generally break them. What would you guys recommend as a good set of metal bits that will hold up to serious abuse?
They do not exist. The smaller the bit, the less "abuse" they can take. Quite frankly any bit smaller the 1/4" is a consumerable in my mind. They break, it's just a fact of life. The larger ones can be resharpenen again and again.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

drillbits

So I guess I should just keep extra small bits "in stock." I know that most of the kits I've had are cheapish, so I thought it might have been the quality.

I do want to get a good set of bits though, and I've learned that a sizeable price tag doesn't always equate to real quality- so, any suggestions? I don't generally have much need for giant bits, mostly smaller ones.
OtisDriftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

drillbits

Unibit for metal work. Depending on the metal you need to watch your speed and a little cutting oil never hurts....on heavier stuff atleast. Ron is right on about the smaller bits. Doesn't matter the who makes them, they break.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelite80; 01-30-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Mikelite80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

drillbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisDriftwood View Post
May I add. please!

I purchased the new bits out there a five to a pack. They have blue stuff in the flutes. Well I would say don't waste your money.@#$#%^ I tried to drill a 1/8" hole in a 3/16" piece of soft steel and it took 3 min. I got out a small production drill bit from work and was through in about 30 sec. What a waste for drilling steel. I have not tried wood ?

I will add each bit cost about $ 5.00 each.

Robut

Last edited by robut; 02-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.
robut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #6

drillbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by robut View Post
May I add. please!

I purchased the new bits out there a five to a pack. They have blue stuff in the flutes. Well I would say don't waste your money.@#$#%^ I tried to drill a 1/8" hole in a 3/16" piece of soft steel and it took 3 min. I got out a small production drill bit from work and was through in about 30 sec. What a waste for drilling steel. I have not tried wood ?

Robut
Good advice to stay away from Smurf drill bits. I think the blue stuff was when Papa Smurf wasn't paying attention at the grinder.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

drillbits

I picked up a box of asst bits (Skil) at HD for $10 on sale. They were all smaller than 1/4 I think. All total 100 bits: 8-10 of one size, 4-5 of another. IMO a good multi pack of those that break or get lost so easily.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Experienced

drillbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I picked up a box of asst bits (Skil) at HD for $10 on sale. They were all smaller than 1/4 I think. All total 100 bits: 8-10 of one size, 4-5 of another. IMO a good multi pack of those that break or get lost so easily.
The old wise saying, and is always true, you get what you pay for
Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,138

drillbits

The best way to get anykind of life out of steel drilling bits is to use a decent drill press vs. drilling by hand. A simple drill sharpener for the smaller bits doesn't hurt either. And neither does some cutting oil. I'm actually saving up for a bigger drill press right now that has a coolant system on it already.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

drillbits

Jackofall1,
I'm not clear on the point of your post re: you get what you pay for. Did you mean that $10 was a waste on cheap bits? The concensus seems to be that the smaller bits just seem to get gone, whether by breakage, dropping one in the grass or under furniture or whatever. IMO $10 to have some extra bits on hand as opposed to having to use whatever the next closest size on hand is saves time for me. So it's worth the $10 to me.