Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Drill/driver power questions

Hi all,

I've finally decided to begin starting my own tool collection.

Bit of background: my father is an auto mechanic, and has virtually every tool on God's green earth. I've always just borrowed stuff from him (or had him do stuff for me) but I'm a homeowner and I should be able to do and fix and project on my own, right?

So dad swears by his Snap-On, Mac Tools, and so on, and he loves his DeWalt tools as well. He's had the same DeWalt drill for almost 15 years, and only go this one because his previous one was stolen. For the purposes of this discussion, assume I am going to go with a DeWalt solution.

That all said, my wife got me a DCD970KL for Christmas. It's nice. It's 18v Lithium Ion. It's a Drill/Hammerdrill/Driver, 1/2" and all that other wonderful stuff. It's also big, weighing in at 5.25 lbs.

The reviews say it's great, but I know she paid quite a bit for it, and I'm coming to you, dear reader and fellow forumers, to ask if this is what I should stick with, or should I be looking more along the lines of the 12VMAX line of tools, say the DCK211S2 (Drill/Driver & Impact Driver Combo Kit), or something else?

I'm going to be using whichever I go with as my go-to primary tool of choice

Am I going to dread reaching for a 5lb+ beast wishing I'd gone with the lighter 12V line?

If I went with the 12V line, am I going to wail and gnash my teeth wishing I'd kept the 18V?

Regards,
Joe

Kinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Drill/driver power questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjin View Post
Hi all,

I've finally decided to begin starting my own tool collection.

Bit of background: my father is an auto mechanic, and has virtually every tool on God's green earth. I've always just borrowed stuff from him (or had him do stuff for me) but I'm a homeowner and I should be able to do and fix and project on my own, right?

So dad swears by his Snap-On, Mac Tools, and so on, and he loves his DeWalt tools as well. He's had the same DeWalt drill for almost 15 years, and only go this one because his previous one was stolen. For the purposes of this discussion, assume I am going to go with a DeWalt solution.

That all said, my wife got me a DCD970KL for Christmas. It's nice. It's 18v Lithium Ion. It's a Drill/Hammerdrill/Driver, 1/2" and all that other wonderful stuff. It's also big, weighing in at 5.25 lbs.

The reviews say it's great, but I know she paid quite a bit for it, and I'm coming to you, dear reader and fellow forumers, to ask if this is what I should stick with, or should I be looking more along the lines of the 12VMAX line of tools, say the DCK211S2 (Drill/Driver & Impact Driver Combo Kit), or something else?

I'm going to be using whichever I go with as my go-to primary tool of choice

Am I going to dread reaching for a 5lb+ beast wishing I'd gone with the lighter 12V line?

If I went with the 12V line, am I going to wail and gnash my teeth wishing I'd kept the 18V?

Regards,
Joe
It depends on what you intend to do with it, but I'd rather have 18V than 12V at anytime. Nothing more frustrating than carting your 12V up to the attic and realizing that it doesn't have the oomph to do the job and getting out the corded drill anyway. If you've already got the 18V in your hands, I'd hang onto it.

That being said, if you are not totally stuck on Dewalt, I've been more satisfied with Makita's cordless tools. Seem to be less fragile in my experience.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote