Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #1

Share |

Drill Bit Recommendations

I have a feeling that this is a Chevy vs. Ford kind of discussion, but does anyone have a recommendation regarding drill bit types/brands? I take it that "black oxide" is the base version (e.g., Milwaukee -- whose screwdriver bits I've come to like). I've seen some that are "cobalt titanium" (e.g., the DeWalt's "gold" bits; Ryobi makes these too). And I've seen some that are "cobalt, cryogenic tempered" (e.g., Ridgid).

I'm looking for a bit that will last pretty long, as I do a lot projects.

Also, any experience with drill sharpening machines? I have my doubts, but as long as I'm here, I thought I'd ask ...

Thanks,

Richard

RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #2

I have a set of Mac that are good but I've read these linked are good too. The only grinder I've ever used or needed is this one I made as a kid. Grinding by hand is similar to riding a bike. Once you learn it you never forget.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/765733672-...-29-pc-116-12/
Attached Thumbnails
Drill Bit Recommendations-grinder-belt-10-10-09.jpg  

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #3

Northern Tool sells a drill and bit set that has over 300 pieces.
It includes 3, differant types of twist drills, long and short paddle bits, long and short masonery bits, hole saws, a drill guide, nail sets, long and short screw driver bit of every decription.
Any of the more populer sizes of bit or smaller drill bits there more then one in the set so if one breaks there's extras.
And it's only about $70.00.

Yes there lower quality bits, but in 10 years of daily use I may have only broke about 5 and mostly that was the small drill bits and they would have broken anyway with a better set.

Yes there's better sets but with this one set I never gone to a job and not had what I need all in one spot.
I own 3, differant sets of Clevland twist drills and almost never use them because the other cheaper set will do almost any job not just drill holes.

As far as a drill sharpening machine, I used to work in machine shops and know how to sharpen bits by hand so no way am I going to pay over $100.00 for a machine to do a job I can do in about 30 sec. on my pedistal grinder for free.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-12-2013 at 08:11 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

the best twist bits ive used are made by Walter, their industrial grade bits that can drill through steel no problem .. youll have to go to a industrial supply to get them.. most bits sold in big box stores are moderately ok. they get dull or break easily
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote