Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #1

Share |

Dewalt Track Saw

Hi, maybe some of you can help me out. I was sent a Dewalt Track Saw to write tool reviews on some home improvement sites I write for. Of course I'm going to test it out first (on some of those never-ending projects), but I'd welcome any input from you. Anything in the way of pros or cons, comparisons to similar saws, etc. Thanks in advance!

Kelly
http://www.icanfixupmyhome.com

Chagres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

Dewalt Track Saw

I liked the idea of the DeWalt until I saw the price tag. They've obviously built the saw around the Festool design, but they weren't smart enough to get the price significantly lower than the Festool product. I'm sure the DeWalt is a solid performer, but DeWalt's products are in a lower league than Festool's, and their price should really reflect that. The DeWalt should be a $300-350 saw in my opinion, at the high end.

Here's the $475 Festool, minus the rail, which adds about $200'ish depending on length.

And here's the DeWalt at around $500 with one track.

Nothing wrong with DeWalt's quality. But Festool's quality is light years ahead of most any other power tool manufacturer. Unfortunately, they're priced accordingly! The DeWalt should be a lower cost compromise for those of us that can't swing the Festool option.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #3

Dewalt Track Saw

Yeah, I was surprised at the price; I looked it up after I received it, but I like DeWalt, maybe they are counting on tool brand allegiance to carry it? I'm eager to try it out though, I like the concept, regardless of brand, based on the promo material they sent me.

Thanks for the input, thekctermite. Hope the weather isn't hammering you too bad up there. We actually got snow already here south of Houston. Very strange...

Kelly
http://www.icanfixupmyhome.com
Chagres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Dewalt Track Saw

Is that saw cordless? I have a 4" 18 volt cordless dewalt saw that came with a drill I purchased. It really dosn't have enough power for any serious cutting. It did work fine for cutting in new roof vents. Other than that it is really not very useful for anything other than an ocasional cut were there is no power handy.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #5

Dewalt Track Saw

Brokenknee, DeWalt does make a cordless variety of the track saw. Agreed, my DeWalt cordless trim saw is GUTLESS.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Dewalt Track Saw

I just saw the dewalt saw yesterday on diy cool tools, I am pretty sure the one they showed was cordless. I personally find a homemade cutting guide works very well. A lot cheaper also.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
RepairDon

Dewalt Track Saw

Here is a recently released article comparing the Dewalt and Festool Track Saws. The information is very educational and helpful. http://www.toolsandmachinery.com/art...et-on-track-7/.
mmtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #8

Dewalt Track Saw

I tried the dewalt cordless at a tradeshow and it had plenty of guts. Turns out they have been selling rail saws in Europe for years. They just started marketing the US to give festool some competition.

losttool is offline   Reply With Quote