Dewalt Drill Bit Sets - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Dewalt Drill Bit Sets

Hi all,

I have Fathers Day and my birthday coming up (lucky me!), and I'm passing on ideas to the wife about gifts. I need a good drill bit set, and wanted to go with Dewalt. So, 2 questions:
1. What's the difference between the Dewalt "Impact Ready", "Titanium Pilot Point" and "Cobolt Pilot Point" drill sets?
2. Is there a definitive all-in-one set out there with all of the 'standard' screwdriver heads, wood/metal drills etc etc. I've had a look around and it looks like I would have to buy individual sets.

Cheers for reading
Glenn

Advertisement

gloriousglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Dewalt Drill Bit Sets

Eventually though you end up having to buy individual ones anyway when they start breaking in the sets. I've got at least three of those 'sets' that're incomplete. The cost of replacing them one at a time ends up being more than a new set...

For infrequent use those are fine. But when you get into a job that requires more than two holes being drilled it's time to just buy a 5 pack in the size the job needs. One as a test to break and remind you how to drill properly, two to get lost when you get interrupted and misplace it and then the remaining three to get the job done. I'm kidding, of course, but I've had more that one task end up that way...

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
gloriousglenn (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Dewalt Drill Bit Sets

Many years ago I bought a set like this from Northern Tool. The one I bought is much bigger then this one, but I could not find a picture of it.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1048_200581048
Any of the smaller size drill bits are duplicated so if you break one just grab another.
The commonly used phillip also have more of them.
One thing I liked is there masonry, long and short, paddle bits both long and short, hole saws, steel and titanium drill bits, nail sets, and any kind of bit you can think of except security screw bits which almost anyone would never need.
I've never been on a job and not had the bit I needed.
The one I bought was more expencive but well worth it.
gloriousglenn (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Dewalt Drill Bit Sets

Hey guys,
Thanks for your feedback. My requirement is 'infrequent' compared to somebody who uses this kit for their job...But I am on a 'DIY Wife Says Get It Sorted Schedule', so my drill is often in my hands at the weekend!!
I want something in a tidy case, like the one joecaption posted (thank you), because I don't want to be rooting through a tool box trying to find bits all of the time. If I then find there are bits I am frequently breaking (be it overuse or misuse!!!) then I can buy the multi pack, as long as one is at hand in my handy case.
What about the different types, titanium, cobalt etc? Is there really much difference?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 712

Dewalt Drill Bit Sets

Big differance in titanium, or cobalt vs carbon steel.
Titanium nitride is just a coating that reduce wear and helps keep the drill cooler.
Only time cobalt would be called for is if your drilling a lot of hole in steel.
That set I mentioned has steel twist drils, bullet points and titanium coated bits.
gloriousglenn (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Dewalt Drill Bit Sets

They don't make a set with just the right bits I want. I'd want a set that has lots of 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4, and then no 1/2, 9/16, etc. For those bigger sizes I'd use a spade or forstner bit instead. So I go thru a ton of the "common 4" and those sets only come w a few of them. Then they come w a bunch you don't need like /32 increments. That's their goal of course... to get you to buy a set and get bits you don't need, then buy more of just the one you do need at regular price cuz there isn't enough of those in the packs. It's typical good marketing. So buy the set that's closest, then know you'll have to pick up more of the ones you really want. :-) Get an extra pack of 1/8 and 3/16 up front cuz you go thru tons of them and they're so handy for everything.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SquishyBall For This Useful Post:
gloriousglenn (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #7

Dewalt Drill Bit Sets

It seems that my best bet is to buy some sort of container, and just buy the bits I need, and titanium ones by the sounds of it too.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Dewalt Drill Bit Sets

I purchased the dewalt pilot point set, the small one first and loved them so much I went and got the bigger set. Most of my drilling is in steel in my small home machine shop, I've had the drill bits for over a year now and they all still cut like new. Different jobs require different bits, there is no good "universal" bit, but obviously a cobalt bit will eat thru plywood pretty easy. If most of your drilling is mild steel, then TiN coated is great. If you do a little steel but mostly wood, then HSS bits are fine, just slow down the drill and oil it on metal. Cobalt bits aren't really necessary unless you have something really hard to drill, like stainless or spring steel.

Advertisement

Maddogmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maddogmech1 For This Useful Post:
gloriousglenn (06-17-2013)