Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

Share |

dewalt 14.4v and 18v drill?

what's everybody's opinion on dewalt drills. I currently have an 18v drill/recipr. combo and just picked up an xrp 14.4v drill. Is dewalt better than majority of the other brands out there. Also, for the batteries, will they basically just go bad after a few years if u hardly use them and they just sit there. Just replaced my old 14.4 dewalt bc the batteries were shot after 4-5 years, but i hardly used the drill that much at all

revo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
the Musigician

i like all my dewalt tools..... never a problem. --->will they basically just go bad after a few years if u hardly use them and they just sit there.<---yes, they need to be discharged and recharged occasionally, or used as much as i use mine! 4-5 years is a good length of time for battery life, if you ask me....but what do i know? i'm just a cartoon mouse......

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #3

if i don't use them very often, what's the best way to keep the battery at it's peak performance. Will it harm it just charging it up every week or somethin like that, i read it will harm the batteries to tape the trigger on to run the battery all the way down so u can recharge it. I love my dewalt tools, but the batteries seem to lose performance after a few years when i don't use them that often
revo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo33 View Post
what's everybody's opinion on dewalt drills. I currently have an 18v drill/recipr. combo and just picked up an xrp 14.4v drill. Is dewalt better than majority of the other brands out there. Also, for the batteries, will they basically just go bad after a few years if u hardly use them and they just sit there. Just replaced my old 14.4 dewalt bc the batteries were shot after 4-5 years, but i hardly used the drill that much at all
IMO Dewalt manufactures heavy duty power tools comparable to most other professional brands. Perfectly good Dewalt cordless power tools can be upgraded to new battery systems or replacements instead of discarding the tool. Dewalt, Ridgid, Milwaukee to name a few make 18V batteries compatible with their previous generation products. After proper disposal of any worn out NiCad batteries I invested in 18V Nano batteries that fit my hammerdrill,flashlight,reciprocating and circular saw. The Lithium batteries click on securely but are a bit smaller in certain dimensions. This minor issue does not affect performance of the tool. The tools actually feel rejuvenated and perform well. All batteries have a limited lifespan and if you got 4-5 years thats pretty good.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo33 View Post
if i don't use them very often, what's the best way to keep the battery at it's peak performance. Will it harm it just charging it up every week or somethin like that, i read it will harm the batteries to tape the trigger on to run the battery all the way down so u can recharge it. I love my dewalt tools, but the batteries seem to lose performance after a few years when i don't use them that often
I do NOT recommend taping the trigger of a power tool in order to drain a battery. It will damage them if they are routinely discharged completely. Batteries should be stored in a cool place and try to remember to avoid allowing the charge to deplete during storage. NiCad batteries tend to lose their charge rather quickly which is why I made the switch to Lithium which can hold their charge much longer. Without knowing the condition of your NiCad batteries I would estimate that you could recharge them every 3-6 months. Lithium batteries do not need any conditioning prior to charging which is another advantage. Finally I would recommend to be sure to use the correct charger for Lithium batteries if you make the switch. FYI: The popularity of the Lithium batteries have decreased the prices for NiCad batteries and their respective power tool kits.

Last edited by aggreX; 09-28-2008 at 12:12 AM.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #6

I have a number of cordless tools from a few different manufacturers. Much of it is DeWalt....I have three DeWalt cordless drills, the corless sawzall and the cordless circular saw. The DeWalts are excellent quality and are on par with other professional-quality cordless tools. They aren't better in my opinion, they're comparable. I'm a convert to the Ridgid brand of power tools, and feel that they're every bit as good without the high price tag.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I first started with the makita 7.6volt back in the day and for the last few years have been extremly happy with the Dewalt 18Volt. you say 28volts!!!! Dam! if they make these things any bigger you might as well go back to the extension cords. the whole idea was to make them portable and light!!! the 28Volt must have some weight to it. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #8

I've got the Milwaukee 28 volt set and my hammer drill weighs 9 lbs with battery installed. My 28 volt battery weighs about the same as my fathers Makita 18 volt battery. I have heard now that there are 36 volt as well, I can only imagine the torgue that they will create as my 28 volt is very torguey.
r62ewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

HA! HA! HA! pretty soon we will be carrying Battery back Packs to plug into Be sides the fact that they are very portable, i think they are getting a little crazy. My dewalt impact driver goes all day with just 3 battery changes. plus the fact its light and pretty well balanced. I like it so much I bought the set of drill bits for the 1/4" drive. and now use it for drilling as well. Bob
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by r62ewa View Post
I've got the Milwaukee 28 volt set and my hammer drill weighs 9 lbs with battery installed. My 28 volt battery weighs about the same as my fathers Makita 18 volt battery. I have heard now that there are 36 volt as well, I can only imagine the torgue that they will create as my 28 volt is very torguey.
Got a Dewalt 24v that I can run a four inch hole saws thru double plate.

But since my son is an Engineer at Bosch (hvac sent the kid thru college)
I am slowly building a Bosch tool inventory that I get at a 20% discount.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
Nailerman

Dewalt makes a solid 18V XRP drill. I recently purchased one for $200 and love it. The batteries are expensive, but most are. Dewalt also offers a 1 year free service contact. They cover everything but abuse. You cant beat it.
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #12

Hi,

I like all dewalt tools specially the cordless tools. I never get get any complain for dewalt cordless tools. Easy to use and having long backup with 1 year warranty. I have used DEWALT DC212N 18V SDS HAMMER DRILL - BARE UNIT which is a nice tool. You can blindly trust them

Thanks
imack32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #13

We have no problems with our dewalt tools (cordless or not) Just keep in mind dewalt is an upgrade of a craftman tool - same manufacture different label ---for basic home use 14v-18v
NYCtinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #14

I have heard that Black and Decker own Dewalt now is this true?
theltimatepartyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Yes. B&D owns deWalt........ and Porter-Cable and Delta. Actually B&D has owned deWalt for a number of years. It is thier professional tool line while Black & Decker has become a consumer line. My radial arm saw has deWalt and B&D markings on it. It is 1986 vintage.

Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote