Demo/Reciprocating Saw Blade Recommendation - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Demo/Reciprocating Saw Blade Recommendation

I am performing some demo work in my 100 year old house. Today I was removing part of a ceiling to expose joists in preparation for erecting a new partition wall. I realized that at some point in time, someone came through and plastered over the original plaster ceiling and added a double layer of diamond mesh over the existing ceiling prior to installing the new plaster.

What is the best type of blade to use for cutting through the existing layers of plaster and mesh? There are blades that are advertised as being particularly adept at cutting plaster but what if you throw in the metal mesh?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

Are you using a reciprocating saw? Use Milwaukie or Lennox blades, they are the best quality. Use the finest tooth blade, at least 18 teeth per inch. A short blade is best, long blades may hit the wall on the other side of the 2 x 4. Go slow, keep a firm hand on the reciprocating saw.

If you are going to use a rotary saw, can you fit a metal cutting blade to the saw?

Advertisement

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

hilti also makes great blades but their ease of getting your hands on them is tricky, typically only sold at hilti
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (04-23-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 610

This is one case where I would not attach the top plate directly to the joist, and instead go over the plaster instead, if it's possible to add blocking from above.
An alternative is using a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a diamond blade to make the cut.
Your going to find out a sawsall will cause to much pulling on the plaster and wire and is going to cause some major damage creating a much bigger job then it needs to be.
ptarmigan61 (04-24-2014)