Craftsman Compressor Issues - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Craftsman Compressor Issues

tries to start but only does when I open the drain valve, otherwise trips the breaker. Tries to run when it needs aoir after I get it started (only starts with drain valve open) and of course trips the breaker again because the drain valve is closed.... Someone on the phone said it could be the start up capacitor, but can't even find it on the parts list....

Advertisement

MattBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,168

Could be an unloader valve, but based on it working when you bleed air off, I would go with a check valve. If you follow the copper line from the head to the tank, it's probably right at the tank. Bleed all of the air off, remove the line from the head to the tank, and you should be able to unthread the check valve from the tank. It will have a spring loaded ceramic disk, which you may may be able to simply clean the crud out of, or it could be shot.

Advertisement

Last edited by DexterII; 09-30-2011 at 02:13 PM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

Thank you for the insight, I will check it out and let you know! Thank you very much!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

If it is oil filled, perhaps a change to a lighter oil will help. If it only does this when cold starting, that is typical of the oil filled.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #5

Thank you both very much. I did remove the check valve and looked at it. It didn't seem to be gunked up, but I did make sure the ceramic disc did move up and down freely (should this be oiled or lubricated?). I put it back together, which was simple enough, made sure the drain valve was closed, and turned on the compressor. No struggling at all, the start up was instant. I let it build up to 120 and shut off then used the air nozzle to do some cleaning. It kicked on and starting compressing instantly, no struggle at all.

Thank you VERY VERY much. The only question I have is the check valve itself, should I grease it under the disc so it doesn't get stuck or does it need to be replaced? It really hasn't had that much use. Thank you again for you help Dexter II.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yet another satisfied customer to the totally free DIY'r information highway, I love when the original poster comes back to thank those that help solved their problems.......Thank-you for coming back and letting the forum know of your success.

Mark
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,168

You are welcome, and, as Mark said, thank you for letting us know that the problem has been resolved. No, definitely do not apply grease or oil inside the check valve, as it would only serve to hold crud that will otherwise pass through with no adverse affect.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote