Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cordless tool systems

im looking to get a new cordless drill. ive been looking at 18v lithium drills. I want to be able to use the batteries in other tools. ive looked at the craftsman c3 lithium, ryobi one+ lithium, milwaukee m18, and DeWalt. Any others i should be looking at? im kinda leaning toward the milwaukee right now

jaydubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

cordless tool systems

check out Makita. I have never used their Li-Ion stuff, but I have been using their ni-cad and NiMh tools for years and they are top qualitity

Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
uva uvam videndo variafit

cordless tool systems

I just bought a Makita drill/impact pair from Amazon. I don't need another drill (I currently have 2 corded and 2 cordless), but I could use an impact (although I have an air impact), but they only wanted $189 for the pair (I see the price has gone up $100), so I couldn't resist. This will be the first Makita tools that I have ever owned, but I've always thought that Makita tools were good quality.

I had a neighbor when I was a kid who was retired and he used to make 19th century explorer/battle ships. He made everything down to the cannons and all of the components worked - sails could be run up and down, cannon doors opened and the cannons rolled out, etc. All he had in his shop were Makita tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LCT200W...2176361&sr=1-1
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
DIY Hack

cordless tool systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I just bought a Makita drill/impact pair from Amazon. I don't need another drill (I currently have 2 corded and 2 cordless), but I could use an impact (although I have an air impact), but they only wanted $189 for the pair (I see the price has gone up $100), so I couldn't resist.
Was that a black friday deal? wish i saw that one! I've been waiting to find a deal like that
Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #5

cordless tool systems

It wasn't a black Friday deal, but it was similar. Amazon ran a cyberweek sale (or something like that) and this deal showed up last Friday. They may have more sales as Christmas approaches. If you are logged into to Amazon and you start searching particular items, such as power tools, they will email you from time to time and let you know about sales.

I don't know if you shop at Amazon much, but if you don't it can be worthwhile since you pay no sales tax and, if the item ships from Amazon and is over $25, you can choose free shipping, which takes a few more days, but save a few bucks. I probably buy 90% of my stuff from them for this reason and because there are a lot of product reviews. A couple weeks ago they had a 50" Samsung plasma for $900 - That's about what I paid for my crappy 32" CRT 12 years ago. It turns out that Best BUY had the same deal going, so I paid the sales tax so that I could have it immediately and not wait for shipping. $1,005 out the door with a Samsung blu ray player.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

cordless tool systems

Just for fun, I went back on Amazon to see what they have. Here's a Millwaukee set for $199:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=760330

They are still running deals. You should see banner for top holiday deals. Click on that and see what you can find.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #7

cordless tool systems

Quote:
Just for fun, I went back on Amazon to see what they have. Here's a Millwaukee set for $199:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=760330

They are still running deals. You should see banner for top holiday deals. Click on that and see what you can find.
Dont know if id use that impact driver or not, but 200 isnt a bad deal. I can get the drill, 2 batteries, and the charger for 140
Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #8

cordless tool systems

The impact would be handy for lags.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #9

cordless tool systems

Quote:
The impact would be handy for lags.
Dont get me wrong, i would certainly buy it. just not sure how much id use it LOL.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

cordless tool systems

I've got the Makita 18V series....absolutle LOVE it...very long battery life...plenty of power...very quick to recharge.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #11

cordless tool systems

FYI - According to one of the reviewers on Amazon, the batteries that come with the package that I bought are the low charge batteries, so they don't last as long, but they are supposed to charge in 15 minutes. He said that long charge batteries were available in another package. Having a lower charge capacity allows the batteries to be lighter.

I guess I'll know when I get them and try them out.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #12

cordless tool systems

I've got that set and they are really nice drills. I use them hard everyday and love them
jnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #13

cordless tool systems

Quote:
FYI - According to one of the reviewers on Amazon, the batteries that come with the package that I bought are the low charge batteries, so they don't last as long, but they are supposed to charge in 15 minutes. He said that long charge batteries were available in another package. Having a lower charge capacity allows the batteries to be lighter.

I guess I'll know when I get them and try them out.
Milwaukee has a compact battery and a bigger heavier battery. that 199 kit comes with the compact batteries