Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #1

Share |

Cordless tool set

Hello
I am looking for a cordless tool set (the usual 4 tool sets - drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw and the flashlight - however not sure I really need that light, but it's always part of those sets)
I am not a professional, but I'm buying a house and will have work to do here and here
I'm not looking for high end brands such as Dewalt, Makita or Milwaukee......I want to keep my budget at ~$250 max
I was thinking about Ryobi, Kobalt, Porter Cable or Crafstman
I'm also hesitating between NiCd vs Lithium Ion....I know the last one is more convenient, charges faster and has no memory effect, but is more expensive.
Does it make sense to go NiCd nowadays? I was thinking that with the price difference, I could buy a couple extra NiCd batteries.......Or should I definitely consider Lithium?

Thanks

french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #2

Cordless tool set

http://www.cporyobi.com/factory-reco...obi-combo-kits

One like this will serve you well.
As well as all the top of the line tools I have been using Ryobi tools for many year and have had very good luck with them.
The batterys cost almost 1/2 as much the other brands and mine have lasted about 5 years before needing replacement. The day I buy a battery I put my name on it and the date I bought it.
You will soon find the ciruler saw is about usless for all but the lightest work like for cutting 1/4" plywood.
I'd suggest you buy a corded ciruler saw, and an impact screw gun. I by far use my impact screw gun more then any other tool. It will drive deck screws, remove stuborn nuts, drill holes with the hex shank drill bits.
I'd also suggest buying a bit and drill set that Northern Tool sells. It has just about every bit you will ever need, 4, differant types of drill bits, populer sizes have multible drills and bits.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8973_200308973

Last edited by joecaption; 09-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

Cordless tool set

ditto what joe said about ryobi.

btw, black and decker owns other brands such as dewalt and porter cable last time i checked.

i would also pay the premium and get the lithium ion batteries. they seem to have more power (full sized one, not those half height skinnies), retain charge longer and re-charge quickly.

the only thing i use with my nicad batteries is my ryobi radio
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

Cordless tool set

It seems that the circular saw is useless, except for light tasks
I will in that consider a drill, an impact driver and a reciprocating saw (may have to be as separate elements though...)

I understood you recommend Ryobi...fiar enough. What about Kobalt, Porter Cable, Ridgid, etc...?

And what is best: Lithium ion or NiCd with extra batteries for ~ the same price?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #5

Cordless tool set

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post
It seems that the circular saw is useless, except for light tasks
I will in that consider a drill, an impact driver and a reciprocating saw (may have to be as separate elements though...)

I understood you recommend Ryobi...fiar enough. What about Kobalt, Porter Cable, Ridgid, etc...?

And what is best: Lithium ion or NiCd with extra batteries for ~ the same price?
I would stay away from the Kobalt, where you going to get it fixed?
Porta Cable makes great tools but your going to be paying a whole lot more for them.
Ridgid will have a life time warrenty including the batterys. I have a Ridgid ciruler saw, sawsall, narrow crown staple gun, and cordless jig saw.
ALl have worked fine except the staple gun. All the screws came loose the first time I used it. I tightened them up and it works fine now.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #6

Cordless tool set

And what do you think about NiCd vs Li-Ion?
The tools stay the same, yes or no?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
World's Tallest Midget

Cordless tool set

I have a Craftsman 19.2v set I got second hand, drill/driver, impact driver, saw. I totally concur on the uselessness of the saw, but the other two work great. I've heard horror stories on the batteries (I use NiCd because I'm cheap), but they've worked well on homeowner-use for me. If I were a professional carpenter I'd get Dewalt or Makita or something like that, but for the deal I got, I'm not complaining.
Mort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #8

Cordless tool set

i have a ryobi 18+ drill and impact driver set. they work pretty darned good for the $100 i paid for them. i have been buying ryobi for years. and they give me pretty darned good service.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Cordless tool set

And what about this:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...1#BVRRWidgetID

Is it worth the price?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Cordless tool set

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post
And what about this:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...1#BVRRWidgetID

Is it worth the price?
Yes. Milwaukee is always a good choice. But going back to the other 4 piece set, I bought a Porter Cable set, in a bag. Drill, reciprocal saw, circular saw and flashlight for about $90. Homeowner quality but good tools. Milwaukee and Dewalt are always a good buy if you want a better grade tool, but you will pay for that quality.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #11

Cordless tool set

Ooops....copy/paste error!!!
I meant this one
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...1#.UGevgmt5mSM
Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #12

Cordless tool set

Stilll a good choice. I'd spend the difference for the Milwaukee, or Dewalt; but for homeowner use the Rigid is fine. Haven't heard anything bad about them. If you want to research what is the most reliable and durable tools, visit a rental store. The can't afford breakdowns so they invest in the most durable and rugged tools.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #13

Cordless tool set

OK, so in the website recommended in the 2nd post, I found this:
  1. http://www.cporyobi.com/factory-reco...-drill-drivers
  2. http://www.cporyobi.com/factory-reco...-drill-drivers
I makes a total of $150 for a drill + impact driver set with 2 chargers and 4 batteries (NiCad though)
So what is best: This set or the brand new Ridgid from Home Depot @$179.00+tax (6%) and "only" 2 batteries (but Lithium Ion AND apparently a lifetime warranty)?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #14

Cordless tool set

Agree with the guys that there are plenty of good sets out there, many good brands. I went with the 18v Makitas due to prior brand experience and being a satisfied customer.

But unlike the other guys I find the circular saw to be plenty useful. No, you are not gonna frame a house with it but it easily cuts plywood and 2x4's. Nice to not have to break out a corded saw for those jobs. I have added a few other tools along the way including a blower... you may laugh but it easily blows the leaves off my deck.

Also, like the guys say the small LiIon battery packs don't run that long. But I like having a pair of them anyway for times when I care about lightness. The little impact driver with a small battery packs a heck of a punch in an easy to handle package.

One brand (I think it's Rigid) makes a power caulk gun for ~$50-60 at Home Depot. A friend just picked one up to do some big outdoor caulking jobs. But I don't think any of the other main makers have that tool in their arsenal so if you might want one of those maybe that would influence your direction.

Edit: The 18v caulk gun my friend picked up was a Ryobi. Rigid and Dewalt (maybe a couple others?) make them but they are much more $$.

Last edited by raylo32; 09-30-2012 at 07:51 AM.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #15

Cordless tool set

Any other opinions about my different options?

Thanks