Cordless Sawzall? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

cordless sawzall?

I bought a Made in USA cordless milwaukee 6516-02 sawzall about a year ago I wondering did I make a bad choice because its cordless? I have not really use it on any carpentry projects yet. Because I have not found a use for it yet.

Advertisement

CJIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

cordless sawzall?

Those are handy as can be for smaller jobs---no cord to deal with--I like them for the littler jobs.

If you have some serious demolition work, they are to under powered--so when you get to a job that is to big for the battery one---treat yourself to a corded Sawsall---

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

cordless sawzall?

I have both corded and cordless and use both for differant reasons.
If I have to go up on a roof to cut a hole for a vent, why would I want a cord to deal with for one hole?
One or two rusted bolts to cut off, I'd go with the cordless.
But for jobs like demo work, cutting off old rusted foundation bolts, I use the corded saw so I do not have to keep changing batterys.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

cordless sawzall?

I've got a DeWalt 18v cordless (similar) and it's very handy. I made quite a lot of use of it when I bought it for helping demolish a bathroom for renovation. It has enough power for the places you'd expect to be using it. Just be sure to purchase more than one battery pack. I've got two chargers (other DeWalt 18v gear) and always end up keeping batteries in rotation through them.

I've also made use of it while building our new house. Most often to deal with the excess of nails the framers drove where I needed to run some holes for low voltage cables (tv, computer, etc).

Now, where you really need corded power is if you're going to drill larger holes. The 18v cordless are just not up to snuff for putting 1-3/8" or 2-1/2" holes through framing. A wired drill is so much better for that. Just be sure to get tough bits that can deal with the occasional nail.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

cordless sawzall?

I have an 18V Ryobi... let me list a few of the ways I've used it recently...

- Cut some thicker branches on trees without wearing out my arms...
- Cut small tree/bush/ivy trunks prior to pulling them out...
- Cut PVC for burying my downspouts
- Cut the tops off the vertical support rails of a metal bench that was too tall for the space

Anytime I need to hack the end off something--filling a bagster with oversized items the cordless recip. came in very handy... and there are lots of different blades you can get to make it pretty versatile.

I have the corded version which was absolutely required when I was doing indoor demo--the cordless could do lots of single cuts, but going through 1950's 2x4's I couldn't get more then 15-20 mins from it.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

cordless sawzall?

Well my sawzall came with two batteries, I need to find someone who can put a blade holder on it.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Bill Kearney

cordless sawzall?

Agreed on the old 2x4's, Bubbler. Ours was built circa 1950 and they were tough. They just laughed at my clapped out old (corded) circular saw. I had to pickup a new heavier duty one. No chance of the 18v recip saw from getting anywhere. But it was handy at separating a fair bit of other materials and to hack off the leg-gouging nails sticking out from everything. Had to use a corded grinder for the metal lathe/screen in the wall cement bed though.

One other use... using a tree saw blade when you go out to the Christmas tree farm to cut down a live one for the holidays. No more getting my side and knees all muddy whacking away at it with a hand saw... Upside was renting it for $5 a pop to three different guys on the way back to the farmhouse... One guy made the offer and the rest bought into the idea. I'd have let them use it for free, being the holiday season and all, but I'm not gonna turn down people volunteering money!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

cordless sawzall?

This is a perfect example of why one needs to make sure when they choose cordless tools, they all use the same battery.

I think the Ryobi 18v set is the only one that offers pretty much every power tool all using the same battery.....even the weed eater uses the same bettery.

I use the dog crap out of my cordless Ryobi sawzall.....but it goes in spurts....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Bill Kearney

cordless sawzall?

All my DeWalt 18v stuff uses the same battery. Now, they do make newer ones that use 20v, but they're all the same 20v battery. I think this is true of most vendors. Were I buying new today I'd probably go for the 20v, if only to get more torque from the cordless drill/driver units. An 18v doesn't quite has enough toque to operate a hole saw, for example.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

cordless sawzall?

CJ what brand and model??---some are easy to replace by yourself,others are best sent to the repair shop---
Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #11

cordless sawzall?

Its a milwaukee 6516-02 Mike, I know where to get the part but I can't put it on.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

cordless sawzall?

correct, your best bet is to talk to a milwaukee service center..

unlike what dawg mentioned about the bigget selection of tools that run off one battery. Makita is the hands down winner for this. they have over 50 tools that run off the same battery
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Bill Kearney

cordless sawzall?

50? Now, I'm as big of fan as anybody about collecting tools, but that'd be crazy. Is there a list of them all online? Just how many are variations on the same thing? I mean, there's only 'so many' kinds of a drill the average person would use. I've got a hammer, VSR and a right-angle (which is VERY handy). I could see having more if I was using a lot of bits at the same time (instead of swapping them). But to get to 50?

Did come across a list of some: http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules....aspx?CatID=11

Certainly an impressive array of gizmos.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,684

cordless sawzall?

Sorry http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=78275 read post number 3. There are no power tool co. left that is made here. Porter Cable I believe it was, was the last to go.

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 06-06-2013 at 08:29 PM.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

cordless sawzall?

that list doesnt even show everything.. i dont see the impact drivers,, the hammer drills, or drill/drivers, the jigsaw, circ saw, recip saw, sds hammer, either of the vacuums

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote