Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Share |

Cordless Finishing Nailer Advice

I looking to buy a finishing nailer that is cordless. I am not a professional but do smaller DIY jobs at home and for friends that look professional but take longer to do I realize that cordless is a newer tech and that they are seen an unreliable and less powerful than air compression nailers.
With that in mind I like to make a good purchase with a quality cordless finishing nailer. Any advice on a cordless finishing nailer would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards battery and opposed to gas and down the line I might get a framing nailer to compliment the finishing nailer so if they operated on same charger that would be great. If you have experience with cordless finishing nailers, let me know what it was like.

So far I've got good info on the Hitachi NT50GS and the Senco Fusion.

lionscourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #2

I am a finish carpenter by trade. I use a dewalt finish nailer. Runs on the same 18v battery as the other dewalt cordless tools. I like it. I use it for pick up because its not really fast, but I have had no problems with mine.

I would not recommend gas at all. I had a paslode and besides not being that good. You still have a battery to keep charged on top of a gas canister to keep full.

uncommon doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Cordless is nice but for what your going to pay for that one gun you could buy a combo set with compressor, and three nail guns and still be able to run a framer, roofing gun, siding gun later on off the compressor.
ToolSeeker (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #4

I won a Ryobi finish nailer. It takes up to 2" finish nails. I love it. I have several Ryobi 18V tools and the batteries are interchangeable. I have even used the nailer to put up cedar clapboards with not problem. They have nails from " to 2". I like it because I don't need a compressor or drag hose around.

http://www.ryobitools.com/power-tool...ts/details/552
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

Clapboards with a finish nailer?
woodworkbykirk (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #6

Joe you did read my op right??? I am a diyer not a pro, don't want a compressor, and am buying a cordless finish nailer. Definitely not dragging a hose a and compressor around.
Thanks Uncommon. My research on the Dewalt XRP series has caught my eye because of positive reviews. Long battery life and only downside is its slight heavy.
lionscourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

I did the clapboard by myself. Used the nailer to get them started then added 10 pd nails to finish.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

im a carpenter by trade, interior and exterior finish is my specialty. one thing i see all too often is people who use the wrong fastener for the job.. too often i see guys using heavy hand nails for exterior trim which can and will split the wood or pvc or they use 18 gauge nails and the trim falls off the wall in no time because 18 gauge nails dont have the holding power to withstand seasonal movement of wood. do yourself a favor and go with a 16 gauge , they are heavier than a 18 and they can shoot up to 2 1/2" nail

as for brand to each their own, every one i talk to has their own preference.. ive used roughy 14 different dewalt nailers ranging from the cordless finish guns to their pneumatic framing guns.. all of their trim guns made gigantic holes in the wood which makes for more work to fill. its do to a oversized tip on the driver. the other thing is that of all those guns only 2 didnt jamb within the first hour of using them.. one was a fraimng gun the other was a stapler

paslode invented the cordless nailer and they know what their doing.. 95% of the gas guns ive seen that were problematic were the ones that are abused or not cleaned every few months.

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote