Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Arrow

Cordless drill and impact drivers

I am getting ready to purchase a new drill and impact driver. I have looked at most of the major brands on the internet. (ie: Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Sears, Rigid)
I am looking for suggestions. These are all mainly 18V battery operated. I have had more recommendation on the Milwaukee up until now. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

estevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #2

I've got a Milwaukee drill and impact driver. They are outstanding in every way.

Saxe Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #3

Arrow

Do you happen to know the model numbers on the ones you got. Thanks for your response.
estevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,370

What's your budget?
What's it going to be used for? Are you a GC or just a DIY?
Anytime I'm trying to make a tool decision I like to first check on Amazon.com, look up the tool then look at the bottom of the listing at the reviews.
Before buying I tend to also check CPO tools to see if they have any factory remanufactured versions available.
There's been a lot of sales lately every where on the drill and impact combos, which almost always saves money.
I rarely use my drills any more since I bought a couple of drivers. I also bought the biggest Ryobi drill driver bit and drill set they sell. It has the drills, sockets, adaptors and bits all in on convenient carrying case.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 506

I have the Makita 18v stuff and it is great. I started with the LXT drill and small impact driver and I've been expanding it over the years, circ saw, vacuum, etc. Recent adds are the biggest impact tool they make that easily does the lug nuts on my car and truck and the best rechargeable led work light ever with an articulating and swivel head.

But really you can't really go wrong with any of the stuff out there, for home use anyway. Lots of good quality tool brands to choose from. Milwaukee, Bosch, Ryobi, Hitachi, Dewalt, etc. Best to pick one brand and stay with it because of the batteries. But I wish they would make the battery standard so we could mix and match tools more easily.

And like Joe I have found the Ryobi accessory kits to be really good.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #6

You know that's never going to happen Rylo.
Then they could not charge $100.00 for 1, battery when I'm paying less then $70.00 for 2, Ryobi's.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 506

Yeah, just wishful thinking. Actually the big name brand batteries aren't that expensive online. My original set came with 2 of the 3AH batteries and I subsequently got a 2 pack of the 1.5AH batteries for small jobs and portability for about $110. So far all batteries are working great and still charging properly. The big ones get a lot of use in the vacuum and the blower (yes I even got a leaf blower and it works surprisingly well for the decks on my townhouse). But Ryobi certainly is the best deal and the tools are pretty solid, too. Is it Ryobi or Rigid that has the lifetime battery warranty?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #8

Rigid, but read the fine print.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/three-year-limited-lsa

Last edited by joecaption; 11-22-2013 at 06:29 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by estevens View Post
Do you happen to know the model numbers on the ones you got. Thanks for your response.
I quickly looked at the Milwaukee website and it appears they are no longer listing the combo kit that I purchased. However, I do know that many places, including Home Depot and other tool stores, are clearing out those particular kits [impact driver and drill] because Milwaukee's replacing them in favor of the Fuel brushless models, which are more expensive. You might be able to get a really good deal now. I don't have the Fuel models, but they are more than adequate for my purposes.
Saxe Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

I have two of the 18 v Dewalt cordless impacts. Bought the first one about seven years ago and picked up a second a couple years ago. I use them to hang garage doors, screw down deck flooring, install kitchen cabinets, and just about everything in between. They work very well and the newer one has a light and doesn't require you to pull back on the chuck sleeve to insert a bit. Check amazon for pricing.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,324

i am a DIYer. i have the ryobi drill/impact drill combo. they work pretty darned well. the nicad batteries, well, they must be charged before use. they don't hold a full charge for more than a day. and after a few days, pretty much dead. but when charged for the day, they do last a while.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have moved to Bosch cordless tools. Quality, well priced.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

I just went through this process. Lot of good reviews on the Tools in Action channel on youtube.

In terms of 18V... Dewalt and Milwaukee are at the top. Milwaukee has a bit of a lead on brushless models, and larger capacity batteries, but when you look at ergonomics many prefer the Dewalt feel.

Ridgid has some nice stuff, but they're not as ubiquitous. I'm not sure where the value proposition lies here, as they nearly cost as much as the Milwaukee/Dewalt. I have a Ridgid router, and it's nice, but I've even noticed Home Depot seems to be carrying less and less of their tools and pushing the yellow and red.

Ryobi is the leader in value. They're not as rugged, and they have more usability quirks, but price wise they can't be beat and are more than adequate for DIYers.

Interesting tidbit... Milwaukee is owned by Ryobi. Ridgid tools are also made by Ryobi.(just the orange ones... the plumbing tools are still Ridgid)

Makita, I'm not quite sure what's going on there... It seems like their battery technology is lagging considerably. I really love their corded tools, but I'd probably pass on their cordless right now.

In terms of 12V it's really no contest. Milwaukee's M12 leads the pack, not just in performance but also in sheer number of tools available.

Some things to keep in mind... If you're a DIY occasional user, I'd stick to just the simple drill/driver/flashlight tools in terms of cordless. The saws and big drills and such really need the big battery packs, and spares as well because they use a lot of juice. For the same money you can buy corded tools that'll last you forever because they don't feel bad sitting in their case for a few years without use.

Myself, I bought the Milwaukee M12 drill/driver and impact driver sets that are on sale this month for $99/ea. I bought two kits rather than a combo, so now I have 4 batteries and two chargers. Yeah it's the same price as the M18 kit, but I really like the small size of the 12 volt tools and I really have no need for the heavier tools. I have corded tools for heavier jobs. Reciprocating saw, hammer drill, circular saw and so on.

I've been using a Dewalt 12V drill/driver since 2005, and they're really more than adequate for DIYer. My Dewalt 12V was a better than my buddies Ryobi 18V.
MinnesotaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MinnesotaSteve For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (03-30-2014)
Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

I went through this process fairly recently to get started on a new line of cordless stuff after my buddy introduced me to the impact drivers (not to be confused with impact gun). I started doing some research and found the Makita brushless line to have very favorable reviews. Bit the bullet on the LXT239 set, which at the time included an extra tool for free. I've been happy with it so far; then again I'm sure there are a lot of lines which I'd be happy with.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #15

I had the makita lxt impact/drill set and one of my battery's died in less than 2 years. All the other makita sets i had before worked pretty well and had decent life span. But i replaced the 18v lxt set with a ridgid set up and love it. Lifetime warranty on everything, more power than the makita set and lifetime warranty( yeah its that cool). They all cost about the same out the door so the warranty made the difference for me. Just my .02 cents.

logan91077 is offline   Reply With Quote