Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete cutters?

Hi all,

I need to cut a 1ft width x 7ft length of side walk cement that was pored in my backward for electrical plumbing. I spoke with the tool rental department and they offered a hand version that looks like a circular saw and another that you walk behind and push.

I guess my first question would be does it matter which one I get for my purposes?

The other question is the rental guy said both can use water.. but said it would not be necessary since the blades are made strong to cut through cement without water just as long as there are no large rebars. Should I use water or not?

Lastly is there a big danger of me doing this myself as I have never cut concrete before nor use tools like this. Or is it easy as pie?

Thank you kindly!

Last edited by s-one; 06-21-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: edited demonsions
s-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Concrete cutters?

Do you own a circular saw? If so, cut it with that, use a masonry abrasive blade and go for it. No water.

Another option is to use the hand held rental saw. If it comes with a diamond blade I would use a little water so as not to run the risk of destroying a $300 diamond blade. If it uses an abrasive blade - no water.

The walk-behind isn't at all necessary and is a waste of money, I wouldn't even consider renting that one.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

Concrete cutters?

I do actually own a circular saw.. well it was my dad's that he bought in the early 80's. I didn't realize that was an option! Home Depot is also charging me for the blade with the rental of the saw.. something like $35 for the blade. I think total for the handheld its roughly about $76 for 4 hours. But if I can find a blade for my saw then I'll just go with that route. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Tileguy

Concrete cutters?

Go buy a few 7-1/2" abrasive saw blades FOR MASONRY and try that first. If for some reason you can't get it to work like you need it to then you can rent something and you haven't been out very much until then.

Also, if you do rent the hand held saw go get one from a tool rental company and stay away from Home Depot. A tool rental company will have the correct diamond blade and they will usually only charge you for what the wear and tear was on the blade. They will measure the blade when you take it and again when you bring it back.

I would suggest you use water with a rented diamond blade. If you ruin the blade from overheating it or even scorching it they may shove it down your throat to the tune of three hundred dollars or more.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #5

Concrete cutters?

Such great info. Thank you so much!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Concrete cutters?

It sounds like the hand version is an electric cut-off saw, probably 12" or 14" blade. That would be what I would suggest for such a small amount of cutting. The walk behind saw is overkill for what you want.

Whether you saw wet or dry is up to you. The water usually makes less of a mess for the surrounding area, but can really make a mess of the operator. I typically choose dry-cutting, as I'd rather wear dust all day than wet concrete slurry.

IMO, sawing this concrete is certainly something that could fit into the DIY category. Just be sure you read the operator's manual first.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Concrete cutters?

Thank you!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
just a tool guy

Concrete cutters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Do you own a circular saw? If so, cut it with that, use a masonry abrasive blade and go for it. No water.

Another option is to use the hand held rental saw. If it comes with a diamond blade I would use a little water so as not to run the risk of destroying a $300 diamond blade. If it uses an abrasive blade - no water.

The walk-behind isn't at all necessary and is a waste of money, I wouldn't even consider renting that one.
Be forewarned...the masonry dust will likely ruin your circ saw...I'd rent.

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Tileguy

Concrete cutters?

I don't think I agree with that.

I've done it hundreds of times and have never "ruined" a saw doing so. I'll admit it can be hard on them but there isn't that much concrete to cut. When you're finished take the saw somewhere and blow it out with compressed air.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #10

Concrete cutters?

Just curious though, have you considered trenching up to the sidewalk on each side, and augering a chaseway, leaving the sidewalk in place?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #11

Concrete cutters?

Thanks for replying guys.

Dexter I'm not sure I can do it since my sidewalk was pored to the house. Here's a drawing to get an idea of what I mean. If there's a better way than cutting up the sidewalk than I'm all ears for it too.

Thanks!