Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Share |

Coleman air compressor issues

Hi guys,

Having a problem with my air compressor and I'm not sure what is causing it. It seems to have something to do with the regulator.

2 things have happened. The compressor is supposed to go up to 120 psi but sometimes when you turn it on and the pressure is below 100, it won't kick in, and the regulator is set to the highest output.

Just today I was using the air hose to blow sawdust in my shop and when the pressure got very low I went to the compressor to fire it up and both gauges read close to 80 psi, and it was not even close to that. The pressure was so low that the pressure relief valve wouldn't even stay open.

The parts list for this compressor can be found at http://www.powermate.com/pdfs/2007/1...9_l0602709.pdf

They have a regulator repair kit on page 5 but since that sits between the gauges, and both gauges are off, is that even the problem?

Thanks for your help

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Remodeler

Part number 9 in your parts list. This pressure switch controls the TANK pressure, the regulator only controls the HOSE pressure. The pressure switch has a range of approximately 95-125 psi. The switch will not run the compressor motor until the pressure drops below the low end set point.

If you have less than 90 psi of tank pressure and the compressor is not running the pressure switch may be bad, sometimes the contacts in the switch arc and become damaged enough they won't make contact when the switch closes. It could also be several other things.

Does the unit have an ON/OFF switch, is it in the right position? You could also have a blown breaker, try a different receptacle? You could have a loose or broken wire, the motor may have a reset that is popped or the motor may have failed.

To properly diagnose it you would need to use an electrical tester to find out if you have power through the switch, to the pressure switch, and to the motor.

iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

It's none of the obvious things like the switch off, bad receptacle, breaker, etc.

About a year ago when it would not kick in after it went under 100 psi, I opened it up and the switch was not engaging (not the on/off switch but the switch shown here)

That seems to be working OK right now but the real issue is the reading on the 2 gauges. I released every last bit of air from the tank using the drain valve on the bottom, and the gauges still read 60 psi (output) and 85 psi (tank).

I have a hard time believing that both gauges are faulty so what could it possibly be? Thanks
Old 06-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Household Handyman

You have a problem believing that both gauges could be bad? I don't, and I've worked on compressed air systems for over 30 years. Mass produced air compressors for the consumer market are built with the lowest cost (in other words--cheap) gauges. By design, Bourdan tube with rack/pinion gears, is a poor system for frequent pressure changes. Drain the pressure from your unit with the power OFF. Then start the unit and let it cut off (the cut-out point). Release air from the unit slowly by any means until the unit starts back up (cut-in pressure). This tells you you pressure switch is working or not. IF it doesn't work like this=bad pressure switch. IF it works go buy two new gauges which read at least 50% more than the rated pressure(s). If this unit is rated at 120#, then buy 200# gauges. If you pay up for "liquid filled" gauges they will last forever.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Drain the pressure from your unit with the power OFF. Then start the unit and let it cut off (the cut-out point). Release air from the unit slowly by any means until the unit starts back up (cut-in pressure).
I actually did this earlier today and it started back up when the pressure dropped a few pounds.

I guess I will look into replacing the gauges and hope that fixes it. Just thought it was odd that both would go bad at the same time.

Thanks for the info
Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #6

Obviously is a bad gauge. I removed it from the compressor and it reads 80 psi while holding it in my hand.

Can't believe those gauges cost $27 a piece to replace. Buying 2 of them is almost half the cost of a new air compressor.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Obviously is a bad gauge. I removed it from the compressor and it reads 80 psi while holding it in my hand.

Can't believe those gauges cost $27 a piece to replace. Buying 2 of them is almost half the cost of a new air compressor.
Not if you buy a really good compressor.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote