Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Which one of the two tools would you pick if you could only have one?
Poll Options
Which one of the two tools would you pick if you could only have one?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
homeowner learning quick

Share |

Clamping tool or Oscilating tool for a DIY'r-you can only pick one which would it be?

I have been reviewing info on clamping tools (Jawhorse) and oscillating tools (Multi master, Sonicrafter, Dremel, Rigid) to make a decision on one of them as my holiday gift. I am a typical DIY'r for this forum - I do a lot of the projects around my house (built in 1962) but I stop short of some "Major" items like full electrical re-wiring. I am not sure which I would find more useful the Jawhorse clamping tool or an oscillating tool. If I go with the oscillating tool I am leaning towards the Rockwell Sonicrafter or the rigid as the Fein Multimaster seems to be more than I want to spend for the amount I will use it and the Sonicrafter and Rigid have received extremely good reviews.

I am curious what other members think would be the better tool to have around the house if you could only have one of the two. If you have a preference on the type of tool you like please feel free to share it as well.
Thanks
J

Last edited by whataboutj; 11-15-2010 at 09:18 AM.
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
STAFF

Clamping tool or Oscilating tool for a DIY'r-you can only pick one which would it be?

I would take the tool, you can make the horses. Also if you didn't have any tools the horses would be useless, unless you wanted to use them as a table.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-28-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
homeowner learning quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
I would take the tool, you can make the horses. Also if you didn't have any tools the horses would be useless, unless you wanted to use them as a table.
Good point about having tools -- I should point out that I have a lot of tools (as to be expected) but nothing as portable & versatile as an oscillating tool - a good example is that I used a full size recip saw to cut two bolts that were coming out of the wall when I remodeled our powder room. On the other hand when I was dismantling the old wooden swing set we had in our back yard this past summer a clamping horse like the jaw horse would have been excellent since the standard saw horses and clamps I have were not really suited to hold 4x4 posts when cutting them down to smaller sizes

Thanks for the input

Last edited by whataboutj; 11-15-2010 at 10:15 AM.
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
Good point about having tools -- I should point out that I have a lot of tools (as to be expected) but nothing as portable & versatile as an oscillating tool - a good example is that I used a full size recip saw to cut two bolts that were coming out of the wall when I remodeled our powder room. On the other hand when I was dismantling the old wooden swing set we had in our back yard this past summer a clamping horse like the jaw horse would have been excellent since the standard saw horses and clamps I have were not really suited to hold 4x4 posts when cutting them down to smaller sizes

Thanks for the input
I see your point but I would still use the tool much much more. The horse clamp would have only limited use. JMHO

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

The multi-tool is my new "go to" tool. You can use it for many different things. The Ridgid 12 volt battery model has different heads you can purchase for different tasks (I haven't bought any extras yet, haven't seen the need). Lifetime warranty on tool and batteries. I have a corded Dremel that's well worth the $100.00 also. I've got enough saw horses and various clamps that the jawhorse doesn't even interest me.....
Old 11-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #6

Chalk up one more vote for an oscillating multi-tool, specifically the Rockwell Sonicrafter. I bought myself the 75 piece kit last year for Christmas, and I've found about a hundred uses for it. Cutting drywall, check. Removing an errant nail from the subfloor, check. Grinding down a spot of mortar that spilled when I was tiling my bathroom, check. Sanding, check. I'd go with the corded Sonicrafter over a cordless model, I tried the Bosch cordless version for a few days before I bought the Rockwell, and although it worked just as well, the batteries died very quickly.
Mthrboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Tool Geek

Another vote for the oscillating Tool.
I have never seen a Jawhorse on a jobsite
The pro's use mostly all different types of sawhorses

Last edited by PaliBob; 11-27-2010 at 11:03 PM.
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
DIY staff

Tool----I picked up a nice one from Harbor Freight a couple of months ago for a window restoration job.

I figured it would be paid for at the end of the week---a novelty tool.I thought.--Wrong!!

That silly little tool comes out of the truck almost daily---amazing time saver for grout and squeeze up removal when tiling--handy for tricky wood removal---amazing at drywall and plaster cutting.

I love it when a tool is better than I had hoped---usually it is the other way around---Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Tool----I picked up a nice one from Harbor Freight a couple of months ago for a window restoration job.

I figured it would be paid for at the end of the week---a novelty tool.I thought.--Wrong!!

That silly little tool comes out of the truck almost daily---amazing time saver for grout and squeeze up removal when tiling--handy for tricky wood removal---amazing at drywall and plaster cutting.

I love it when a tool is better than I had hoped---usually it is the other way around---Mike--
I also have the HF multi tool. I have a store locally and they often run it on sale for under $30. It comes with a scraper blade, sanding attachment, round wood blade and a straight wood blade. It also is packed with extra brushes.

I bought it for a quick, abusive job, thinking I would destroy it. The truth is, the tool stood up to the task and is still going strong, much to my surprise and delight.

At that price, I'd get both tools.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Tool Geek

HF Oscillating Tool Sale $20 ends today.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #11
Tool Geek

I picked up one Sunday for a gift with the $20 coupon. It's not to late to get one from HF as they have lowered the in-store and the catalog price to $25.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multifu...ool-67256.html
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
40+yrs Paint Trades

I bought the HF tool last year. As with the other posters it's now my favorite at the jump. The only thing I have against it is the angled saw blade attachment seems to wear out and break rather easily. Under cutting door frames, I'm on my third.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #13

Another vote for an oscillating tool. I've got the fein, but as others have posted there are many more affordable options available today.

On the other hand, I think I have 16 or so sawhorses and too many clamps to count, but that's part of the business.

The fein just comes in so handy when no other tool will work for the situation (or not nearly as well or as efficiently).

Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote