Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

Share |

Circular Saw - Blade Plug Problem

Hi everyone! I bought a new circular saw over the weekend and experienced something I never have before. Out of the box, I literally could not get the blade plug to loosen so I could install the blade for the very first time. Every time I went to loosen the blade plug, the blade motor would turn as well and though I tried using vise-grips or wedging a phillipshead in between, nothing worked.

I've had issues with past saws where, once the blade is in, wedging some wood can stop the blade motor from rotating when I remove the plug, but I have no idea what to do with this, as the blade plug/motor area is small.

Any help would be appreciated!

ejseidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejseidman View Post
Hi everyone! I bought a new circular saw over the weekend and experienced something I never have before. Out of the box, I literally could not get the blade plug to loosen so I could install the blade for the very first time. Every time I went to loosen the blade plug, the blade motor would turn as well and though I tried using vise-grips or wedging a phillipshead in between, nothing worked.

I've had issues with past saws where, once the blade is in, wedging some wood can stop the blade motor from rotating when I remove the plug, but I have no idea what to do with this, as the blade plug/motor area is small.

Any help would be appreciated!
Long before electric and air operated impact tools were invented an impact tool was used and it was called a 2x4 impact. Put the wrench provided on the cap screw head and give the wrench a good sharp impact with the 2x4. The length of the 2x4 impact tool is determined by the task at hand and one about 12" -16" should work as designed.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

Fairview,

Thanks. Sorry for being dense, but is that a specific tool, or are you just saying to get a 12" long 2 x 4? I'm wondering if I should just return this circular saw and get another one. I've never had this issue before.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

There should be a button on the saw that will lock the motor in place (called an Arbor Lock). You will have to rotate the arbor nut ("blade plug") with the wrench while depressing the button. When the lock lines up you'll feel the button depress & lock the arbor. Keep the button held in & you can unscrew the arbor nut with the wrench.
Do the same in reverse to install the blade.
midwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midwestcoast For This Useful Post:
ejseidman (10-01-2012), ToolSeeker (10-02-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #5

Thanks -- I'll give it a try. I thought I had been, but maybe I was pressing something else.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

Which way are you turning the blade fastening screw? For circular saws loosening requires turning the screw clockwise, unlike most other screws. Righty-tighty does not apply.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I got it. Ended up spraying a bit of WD-40 and then hitting the wrench with the blunt edge of a hammer to jar it loose. Never had to do that before.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #8

midwestcoast is right. On most portable saws there is a way to retain the motor when changing blades. Check in your owner's manual even though they aren't what they once were.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote