Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
homeowner learning quick

Share |

Circular saw -- 6 1/2" Vs 7 1/4" & cordless Vs corded

I am looking into buying a circular saw. I have seen a bunch of cordless Dewalt DC390 models on ebay that are all 6 1/2" blade models. I was looking at the cordless Dewalts because I just got a new set of dewalt impact driver/drill and already have 2 18v nano lithium batteries and the fast charger. You can pick up brand new Dewalt circ saws on ebay for around $75.

I went to Home Depot over the weekend for some things and walked through the tool aisle to look at the circular saws. I noticed that there was not a huge selection of 6 1/2" blades - they were mostly 7 1/4". Is that normal? Am I better to get a 7 1/4" saw instead? I didn't see a 7 1/4" cordless dewalt option.

I am not a professional - just a home owner/ DIY'r and will be using it for some projects I know I will be doing this spring and summer. Since I already have 2 18v dewalt lithium batteries will the DC390 be a good saw to go with since I know I can get it for a great price?

As a secondary question -- is there any reason not to go with a cordless circular saw? I have read a couple posts that say the cordless saws should work great but I was curious

Thanks in advance for the info
J
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I noticed that there was not a huge selection of 6 1/2" blades - they were mostly 7 1/4". Is that normal? Am I better to get a 7 1/4" saw instead? I didn't see a 7 1/4" cordless dewalt option.
Ayuh,... Generally speaking, the 7,1/4" are corded saws,+ the 6, 1/2" are cordless...
Less power, smaller blade...
Quote:
As a secondary question -- is there any reason not to go with a cordless circular saw?
If you plan to build a deck in 1 day,.. Go corded...
Otherwise, you'll be spending Alot of time waiting for batteries to charge...
And,..
Like I said above, the cordless don't have the Power of corded tools...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #3

Cordless for convenience and quick short cuts. Corded for extended repeated rip cuts. Depends somewhat on your project or task at hand. On rental repair/maintenance I bring my drill/saw etc and a couple batteries. Circular saws are power hogs for the batteries but mine charge up within 30 minutes
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Tool Geek

All good advice from Bondo & aggreX

I have the Dewalt 18V 6-1/2" and have not had a problem with depth of cut.
It will cut 2-1/4" at 90

........and 1-5/8: at 45

Note stay away fro the 5-3/8" saw DW936K
It does not cut deep enough to make a clean cut when trimming an exterior door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
DIY staff

I think you will be happier with a corded saw.

The battery saws use up the charge to quickly. If you have only one saw make it corded.

Some day you can add a cordless as a second saw.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #6

Back in early '80's I bought a pair of Skilsaw 6-1/2" because they were 3# lighter than the old 7-1/4" (before the Mag's). A big difference when you framed all day! Corded have way more power. Battery trim saws are great for short use.

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
remodeling pro

If this is your all around saw, definatley go with a 7 1/4" corded. Cordless are handy for "situation" saws, but are not meant to be a main saw IMO. For my $, you can't beat the Porter Cable. They are well built pro grade tools, and their beefy bases are much more durable than the sheet metal ones found on a lot of saws.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #8

I,ve had a corded Skil 6 1/2 for over 40 years,and My Dad had it before Me. I have never had a problem finding the right blade for the job,whether it was cross,rip,masonary or lite steel. It has been used hard but aint dead yet Just a fewcords ,bearings and brushes. Back then they made them out of STEEL
antlerdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Tool Geek

I have both the Porter Cable 7-1/4" corded saw and the DeWalt 6-1/2" 18V saw. I like both but If I could only keep one, I would keep the DeWalt. I have not cut anything with the 7-1/4" PC that I could not have been cut with the DeWalt.

If I used a saw everyday to cut framing, I would probably change my mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 02-27-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
homeowner learning quick

Thanks for all the info everyone - I'm not sure what I am going to go with at the moment. I really only have one home project that I will need the circ saw for which is building some slide out shelves for our kitchen pantry - I also want to re-make my poker table but that will be a combo of a circ saw and a jig saw (which I already own and never really use).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
I have both the Porter Cable 7-1'4" corded saw and the DeWalt 6-1/2" 18V saw. I like both but If I could only keep one, I would keep the DeWalt. I have not cut anything with the 7-1/4" PC that I could not have cut with the DeWalt.

If I used a saw everyday to cut framing, I would probably change my mind.
This helps a lot actually as I am in the same boat with usage -- I also already own 2 18v lithium batteries so maybe the Dewalt will be the direction I go -- ebay is definitely a great place for tools if you already have the batteries and chargers - the 18v Dewalt circular saw is about $70 shipped on Ebay
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote