Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2004, 04:40 PM   #1

Cheap Tools!

SPAM

Old 02-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Cheap Tools!

more spam? You get what you pay for.

To be honest almost all my power tools are Ryobi. They are the cheapest of the high quality power tools, even all the guys at my company use ryobi and we have no problems. Very nice tools I recommend Ryobi.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:54 AM   #3

Cheap Tools!

Didn't they just come out with a commercial line?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Cheap Tools!

Milwaukee.. all the way. I just wish they had a table saw.
hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
Contractor

Cheap Tools!

I mix and match, Ryobi being bottom of the line. I'll pay a few more bucks for what I know will work.
For stationary equipment I like the really old stuff, cast iron all of the way. Tough to move around but they also don't squirrel when you are using them, critical if you are doing fine work.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:14 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Cheap Tools!

Yes Nate, I believe those are the ones I use. Maybe... Possibly...

Teetor like I've said a few times, pretty much all our guys own Ryobi and use them daily and nobody has ever complained. I have a set and never had a problem once. I am satisfied with the quality, and have used higher priced tools in the past.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:07 PM   #7
Contractor

Cheap Tools!

Grumpy, I do a lot of finish woodworking, doors, cabinets, etc. and I find that the adjustments are lacking with Ryobi especially routers, very crude.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #8

Cheap Tools!

I'd rather pay a little extra money and get good quality tools. You really have to search to find those old cast iron tools. Once you do find them it can be a little spendy to purchase.. unless you find a little old lady that doesn't really know what she's got.. then you feel guilty.. it's a viscious circle
Old 03-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #9

Cheap Tools!

Teetor, I will agree with you there. We don;t do much finish work, but I have a compound miter from them. To be honest I wouldnt trust any of the guages. I always use a combination square to check my angles... but in their defense I bought the cheapest one they had. Like every manufacturer they make several grades of equipment form cheapo to pretty damned nice.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:58 PM   #10
Contractor

Cheap Tools!

I have noticed that no one has mentioned Ridgid. They appear to be a quality tool and get high ratings in the mags that I get. Any input?
Old 03-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #11

Cheap Tools!

I've never owned any - but with some of the newer tools they have they are getting higher ratings in the tool reviews. I may have to talk to them and see if they can send me some for review.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #12
Contractor

Cheap Tools!

hatchet, don't forget to mention me! Their 10" portable tablesaw was a best buy in the latest edition of Woodworker, I'd sure like to test one.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #13

Cheap Tools!

I've got a call into them. They forwarded my message on to marketing to see if they would be interested. *fingers crossed*
Old 09-05-2004, 09:22 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Cheap Tools!

I like Ryobi's corded drill, with clutch. I have about given up on corded anything. The only thing Rigid I have is a jointer, and it doesn't get used too much. I have a Rigid 12" planer too, and it does get some use, and works just fine.
Bosch makes the best jig saw, I believe. I like Jet's table saws for the money. I like Dewalt's routers, and I have one of their 708 sliding crosscut saws, that I bought rebuilt, and think it is great.
I love Porter Cables left handed 743 circle saw, nad my 557 plate jointer.
I don't think there is one line that is best at all things. Some times you pay twice as much for the best, and only get about 10% more for your money. If it costs half, and lasts 3 yr. instead of 4, it might be a better deal.
It seems like those "best" tools want to walk off more often than the lesser brands do.
kesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #15
LJD
Reformed Pirate

Cheap Tools!

Anybody else use Buffalo? I just love these things!! I don't know if there's a warranty or not, but they seem to cost much less than, for example, Snap-On. Plus the guy that drives the Buffalo truck is real nice.

Seriously, I've had these waterpump pliers for goin' on 2 years, and no problems yet. I think I paid $8.99 or something!!

If you haven't tried Buffalo Tools, you should!