Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Chainsaw recommendations

I am trying to choose between two chainsaws:

Stihl MS 260 Pro 18" $529,95
or
Dolmar
5100 S 18" $394.95

Anybody have a recommendation?

Thx.

cvrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
J Calvin Construction

Chainsaw recommendations

Never heard of a Dolmar. But that doesn't mean they don't make a good saw. One thing to think about is where would you get it serviced or where would you buy parts if it breaks. On the flip side, its hard to make a recommedation without knowing what your intended purpose is. If you are wanting to do light work really fast with a lightweight saw then that would be fine. If you are going to be heating this winter and need to cut several cords of firewood, I would recommend something a little bigger. Keep in mind, a Stihl pro saw is very well built and designed for a lot of continuous cutting. You could step up to a MS310 or something close, get a bigger saw and save some money.

Write back and tell us what you intend to do with it, we can answer better for you then.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Chainsaw recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrp View Post
I am trying to choose between two chainsaws:

Stihl MS 260 Pro 18" $529,95
or
Dolmar
5100 S 18" $394.95

Anybody have a recommendation?

Thx.
I own three stihl's and have no complaints.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #4

Chainsaw recommendations

I've got a Stihl MS290 16" Farm Boss and it is a great saw. I can let it sit for a year, put gas/oil in it, and it will start right away with no fuss. No lack of power either.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #5

Chainsaw recommendations

Thank you.
I have 40-50 predominantly pine trees from 4-30 inches, some of them 50-60 feet high I need to knock down and cut.
STIHL is a quality saw - yet I looked at some arbor-sites who recommended Dolmar over STIHL (which I thought would do the job) , so I am a little in the dark ?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
the Musigician

Chainsaw recommendations

i own both, they are both good saws. i have a dolmar ps540 and a stihl ms170 for smaller jobs. the 5100 i HAD gave me some real problems over and over until i traded it back in and got the older one. some mfg. error i guess. but for that much $$$.... but when it RAN it was very nice. very little vibration for so much power. kept toasting rings though. however....you cannot just leave them over the summer. if you want it to remain a good tool, follow owners manual instructions as to storage when not in use. i clean mine every month or so through the winter too, as well as many, many sharpenings... lol

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #7

Chainsaw recommendations

Good info from all you guys!
I really appreciate it.
I think I'll go with STIHL - dunno what size though, I got a lot of trees to knock over...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Oldguy

Chainsaw recommendations

I purchased a Stihl 034 super ( new equiv would be a 360) more than 20 years ago, it still runs strong, and has seen a lot of seasonal use. One of my better buying decisions. IMNTBHO

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #9

Chainsaw recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehabber View Post
I purchased a Stihl 034 super ( new equiv would be a 360) more than 20 years ago, it still runs strong, and has seen a lot of seasonal use. One of my better buying decisions. IMNTBHO
That's exactly the kind of experience I'm looking to get!
STIHL sounds like the best decision...thanks, Rehabber.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #10

Chainsaw recommendations

Get as much saw as you can afford, but save some money for the appropriate safety gear.

I'm guilty of being less than safety conscious in the shop and on jobs on a regular basis. But I don't screw around with the chainsaw. During an inspection on a house a couple years ago I watched a tree trimmer's saw kick back into his face while running full bore. He was absolutely disfigured, and he was lucky to live through it. A face shield would have saved him from any injury.

In my opinion, the bare minimum gear is...
  • leather gloves
  • protective chainsaw chaps
  • hardhat with face shield
  • work boots
Please, if you don't have this stuff, get it. Knowing how to run a saw doesn't necessarily protect you from the inevitable kickback, and they're hard to control when they happen.

Hearing protection isn't a bad idea either, but I'd be a hyprocrite to act like I use it every time.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #11

Chainsaw recommendations

Thanks thekctermite,
I will do my best to follow your advice!
Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #12
J Calvin Construction

Chainsaw recommendations

If all you have to cut is a pine patch then you had better save some money on a saw and put the rest into extra blades. Pine is going to be very soft and easy to cut through, however, they have a lot of sap and for some reason they seem to dull my blades fairly quick. No way you NEED and pro saw for this. But we all like to get bigger than necessary tools.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #13

Chainsaw recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvin View Post
If all you have to cut is a pine patch then you had better save some money on a saw and put the rest into extra blades. Pine is going to be very soft and easy to cut through, however, they have a lot of sap and for some reason they seem to dull my blades fairly quick. No way you NEED and pro saw for this. But we all like to get bigger than necessary tools.
Yeah, I noticed that (the sap) when I tried a stupid Craftsman saw for a couple of days, from Sears. Even though it was the "top-of-the-line", the motor refused to work after day two (it sounded like somebody put metal in the pistons), and the blades went dull after only an hour of sawing pine due to sap. I spent most of my time between sharpening, checking oils, and trying to start the freaking thing.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #14

Chainsaw recommendations

Stihl has rollomatic chains with carbide teeth available for cutting tough woods and to avoid dulling. I've had my eye on one for quite a long time but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It only takes a few minutes to sharpen the cheapo chain I guess.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #15

Chainsaw recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Stihl has rollomatic chains with carbide teeth available for cutting tough woods and to avoid dulling. I've had my eye on one for quite a long time but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It only takes a few minutes to sharpen the cheapo chain I guess.
I'm going to the local STIHL dealer and check it out today. Yeah, I've seen they advertise the rollomatic chain but didn't know what that meant. Thanks for your input on that.

Tags
chainsaw