Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |

center flange on masonry blade tearing

I have a Milwaukee 7 1/4 inch circ saw, about 20 yrs old. Wanting to cut some concrete slabs with it, and have done this before w/o a problem. Using a Norton masonry blade ala home depot, and careful not to try to cut too deeply at each pass, but the center hub keeps tearing out of the blade, making it useless. Never had this happen before, and have used masonry blades many times before.
Is it a saw issue, or do I just need a more expensive blade...HD only had one style/mfgr in this size.
If I can find one that fits and still allows the blade to fit onto shaft, would a large backplate help on the backside of the blade (to compress the blade fully at the hub)?

Thanks for the help.

hughnohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

I can't speak to your specific issue without seeing the saw, but I recently cut a lot of concrete block with a 7-1/4 inch circular saw. I bought a $15 Skil diamond tipped blade, it cut far better than my old masonry blades, and I had no trouble with the center spindle. Diamond blades are pretty inexpensive these days, well worth it for cutting concrete in my opinion due to superior cutting speed. By the way, use an OSHA rated face mask when cutting concrete, the dust is extremely bad for your lungs.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

Thats a great idea Daniel. Bought one this morning !
Thanks
hughnohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Household Handyman

I've seen "masonry blades" do this on larger industrial saws used to cut floors. It seemed they were being run by "day workers" who had no idea of how to use these saws and were feeding the blade into the run too fast. The spindle will try to spin the blade but the friction of the blade against the concrete would give enough resistance that the blades would spin inside the metal of the blade at the spindle. Teaching them to feed the saw(s) slower always helped.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
hughnohoo (11-09-2010)