Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

can you recommend a cordless saw?

can you recommend a cordless jigsaw, circular saw, or reciprocating saw? i need one to work on one of my dad's rentals and there is no power there, so my corded one is pretty much useless. I have an oscillating multi-tool too but it doesnt have the power to cut anything but floor coverings. Can you recommend a brand? Paste a link?

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

I know a lot of people will disagree but I really like my Rigid from the Depot. You can buy the combo and get about everything you will need at one time. Circ saw, recip saw, drill and impact driver. Plus they have a good warranty program. I have had mine for years with no problem but a couple batteries.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Bombastic Idiot

I'll have to pass on this one. The only battery tool i use is drill and i have very old Makita. I do have El Cheapo circular, jig, and recip came as "Free Gift" with something, rarely use, except to play with, use recip most, light weight pruning saw. My use of saws, I feel, just needs the extra power of line voltage, if I am in locale without elec. I use portable generator. Or hand saws. Some times that's easier and quiker than anything. makes much more pleasant sound too.You may wanta look into generator anyway. Livin out in country you may need it. Small one just to keep reefer and a light running. Small enough to put in truck, maybe mounted on dolly.

Back to saws, Recipricating is good for demolition work, rough cutting, variety of blades for pruning, metal, plastics, fast cuts, etc. harder to make precision cuts. Circular saw is best all round saw. Will do most that you want. Jig or saber saw I often reccomend as first saw for inexperienced home owner, not as scary as Skilsaw ( circular) will do many jops of circular and sawzall. Just not as quickly. And will do some jobs others can't, curves, holes, cutting up to walls or end of cut. Its what I use for cutting sink openings in counters.

A set of hand saws is maybe what you want, need a few anyway for when its only thing that will work.

Now folks with experience with battery saws turn.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #4

a hand saw, while it works nicely for some things, wont work for floor repair. I need something that will cut 1/4" particleboard to repair sagging under the stove, the renters must have had a flood or something, i dont know, all i know is i went in there after they moved out and there is some sagging under the stove area. In my trailer, its not a problem because i can use a generator or extension cord, i cant do that with this rental house. Why they did not use 3/4" plywood on these floors, i dont know.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

A ryobi cordless kit would serve you well for your needs.
Not ideal for serious remodel work but with light work they will do the job.
But then there's the issue of no power,how do you recharge the batteries?
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #6

i dont need to recharge them, its not a very big spot, i just need something to cut out the old floor. i can cut the new piece of flooring at my dad's shop and put it down with screws and a cordless drill.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #7

Sorry I misread your initial post. If you only need it for this one job I don't know but I suspect you could rent a cordless. But if you really want to buy one almost any of the major brands will do. Again if it is only for use occasionally I would look into ryobi or craftsman something in that range and save a few bucks instead of going high end.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

"1/4" particleboard" you're kidding? "a hand saw... wont work for floor repair." If you can cut it with power, you can cut it by hand. Especially 1/4" stuff. Folks been cutting stuff long B4 we had power tools.

I'm no tool brand snob, any brand is OK if it does job you want it to do. Even from that place down by the docks, "whose name shall not be mentioned."

" no power,how do you recharge the batteries?" Always have at least one fully charged back up battery as well as one in charger. There are adapters to charge off of running auto-mobiles. Even adapters to run tools off of them. Back in olden times we had to make horses run really fast to charge up batteries, or use hand tools.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

One thing i would like to add, if it was particle board under the sink it did not have to be a flood just a very minor leak. that is the nature of particle board when it gets wet it swells and then crumbles. Just me but I would never put particle board back in there.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #10

no, im not kidding, believe it or not. I almost fell out when i saw that. Im thinking a previous owner must have installed it, no builder in their right mind would do that. But its just a rental and it seems sturdy enough so we just leave it be for now.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #11

not under the sink, under the stove. I cant think of any reason there would be water under the stove, unless the ice maker disconnected or something and water flooded the floor.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Bombastic Idiot

"reason there would be water under the stove" Us students of the Three Stooges know how it got there. Has fire been shooting out of the faucets?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
journeyman carpenter

if your going to be using cordless saws. makita is the only way to go.. ive owned and used countless cordless tools and makita is the top brand that is easy to find. milwaukee and ridgid are notorious for their batteries going stale very quick. bosch is also very good but i find their cordless circ saw and recip are almost as big as a corded model but without the power of a corded.

craftsman will burn up in no time.. when i first started out as an apprentice the contractor i was working for had just bought a new craftsman drill for us to use.. i was assembling a table for the home owner.. about 20 screws intohte project and hte motor burnt up..... 3 hr old dead tool.... circ saws need more juice and will eat up a batteries charge much quicker than a drill
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #14

i bought the ryobi combo set, it was the best deal with the best reviews. BTW, kirk, not every craftsman is a bad tool, i have a craftsman cordless drill, ive charged it and used it in my remodel several times, the battery lasts about two weeks before needing recharged and it has a lot of power. maybe you just got a dud. the flashlight that came with my pack is really bright so it will come in handy not only to fix this but also to work on my own house. thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
i bought the ryobi combo set, it was the best deal with the best reviews. BTW, kirk, not every craftsman is a bad tool, i have a craftsman cordless drill, ive charged it and used it in my remodel several times, the battery lasts about two weeks before needing recharged and it has a lot of power. maybe you just got a dud. the flashlight that came with my pack is really bright so it will come in handy not only to fix this but also to work on my own house. thanks for all of the suggestions.
Must be a misprint my batteries won't last 2 weeks if I don't use them. Craftsman power tools are notorious for being under powered but they are great for h/o who only use them occasionally but go to any job site and see what people who use tools for a living use. But be assured they pay dearly for that privilege. Sears hand tools though are a different story. That is why when you go look at say a saw the price range will go from $60 to almost $200 it all depends on what you are going to do with the tool.