Can Someone Explain The Whole Drill/Driver Thing? Impact Driver As Well Please? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

Can Someone Explain The Whole Drill/Driver Thing? Impact Driver As well Please?

I have googled this and came away more confused then anything else.. Don't even get me started on me asking my "friend" who is a green builder for clarification on the subject and how that ended up..

Here is my Example: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PCCK602L2-Lithium-Tool-Combo/dp/B00CM7Z2KW/ref=pd_sim_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=02Q5GMPXWFJKBAR7JNV X"]PORTER-CABLE PCCK602L2 20V MAX Lithium 2 Tool Combo Kit[/ame]

Anyways Maybe someone here can break it down in laymens terms for me..

1. What exactly is a Drill/Driver tool for?

2. What is the Impact Driver for?

3. Why do they package them together(mayhaps cuz I don't understand but it seems kind of redundant)

4. Hammer Drill for?

My apologies if this is basic but I have not been able to get a solid answer on this and still in my mind I have this unkown about them and would just like clarification on the matter!

oNe

Advertisement

Sean Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

A drill uses a chuck that holds drill bits and is used for well, drilling. It simply twists whatever but you put into it. A hammer drill is useful for drilling through masonry. It makes it much quicker and easier. It exerts as the name says a hammering force along with the twisting motion.

An impact driver imparts again an impact force along with a twisting force, though not the same. Impact drivers have collets which hold hex bits like screwdriver bits and nut driver bits as that is what they are used for, driving screws and bolts.

Now you can put hex shank drill bits in an impact driver, but the uses are limited. And you can chuck a screwdriver bit in a drill and it will work. But neither will do the others job as well as its own.

Advertisement

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

With an impact driver, the impact is a rotational impact. The impact is helping to turn whatever you're turning. it's like a battery operated version of air powered impact wrenches used to loosen and tighten lug nuts in a tire place. One of the things an impact driver really excels at is driving long screws, like deck screws. The hammering action in the direction of turning helps to jolt the screw into turning. I've screwed in 3/8 inch lag screws easily with an inpact driver which would have been much harder to sink with a drill.. It's also good at loosening difficult to turn nuts and bolts.

The hammer drill , like iminaquagmire said, puts an impact along the drill, like you were hitting the back of it with a hammer as the bit was turning. About the only thing this is good for is drilling masonry (bricks, concrete, stone, etc) a masonry bit is really just a rotating chisel, and it doesn't do much unless there's some hammering action. That doesn't man that the hammer drill is useless for anything else. Every one I've ever seen has a way to turn the hemmer action off, then it's just like a regular drill.
A Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 542

1. A drill/driver is like a Corvette. Great at going fast, but also has a trunk in case you need to get groceries. A drill/driver is great at drilling holes, and can be used to drive screws if you only have the one tool.

2. An impact driver is only good at driving screws. Ever have a stubborn bolt that you give your wrench a little tap with a hammer to try to break it loose? That's basically what an impact driver does.

3. They're packaged together because they compliment one another. Next time you build a deck, you can use the drill/driver to drill pilot holes while another dude comes behind you with the impact driver driving the screws. Or you can do it by yourself without changing bits 10,000,000 times.

4. Hammer drill is like trying to remove that same bolt, but hitting the head of it with your hammer instead of the wrench.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,506

Ever have a drill or screw lock up on you and the drill/driver almost twist your wrist off, or slam your hand into something ?

An Impact driver does not transmit torque forces to the wrist like a drill/driver does.

It also has a lot more power. You need to be careful that you don't overdrive things.
A drill driver with a good clutch is better for more delicate work.

The two tools compliment each other.

Last edited by Oso954; 03-20-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Machines advertised as drill/drivers also have a clutch that adjusts to slip at a certain amount of torque to prevent stripping out screws. Usually a collar behind the chuck with a number scale on it. At one position the clutch locks solid for drilling.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
1. A drill/driver is like a Corvette. Great at going fast, but also has a trunk in case you need to get groceries. A drill/driver is great at drilling holes, and can be used to drive screws if you only have the one tool.

2. An impact driver is only good at driving screws. Ever have a stubborn bolt that you give your wrench a little tap with a hammer to try to break it loose? That's basically what an impact driver does.

3. They're packaged together because they compliment one another. Next time you build a deck, you can use the drill/driver to drill pilot holes while another dude comes behind you with the impact driver driving the screws. Or you can do it by yourself without changing bits 10,000,000 times.

4. Hammer drill is like trying to remove that same bolt, but hitting the head of it with your hammer instead of the wrench.
My man, you hit it square in the head, this is exactly what i was looking for!!! THank You, THANK YOU!! This breakdown is what this laymen needed.. I got it now!!

I bought the Porter Set similar(if not the exact same one) as above.. $145 at my Local Farm&Fleet!!

oNe

P.S. Also big thank you to everyone else as well, google is d@m good but ALL of yall broke it down in plain english that I got it now!!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

I picked up an kobalt 18 v lithium ion combot kit for 100 bucks at lowes. I used it for the first time today to build bleacher style display tables. The impact driver was awesome!!! It drove the screws in effortlessly. I can't believe I got such a good deal.
shaydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I use my impact drivers more than the drills. I even take one along camping to run the leveling jacks up and down on the camper.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
I use my impact drivers more than the drills. I even take one along camping to run the leveling jacks up and down on the camper.
Interesting...

Thats part of how I was so confused, because in my limited understanding it just seemed that the impact wrench with a drill/driver was kind of redundant as in they essentially do the same thing...

wow!

oNe
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

A drill is designed to make holes. It is not particularly good at driving screws, but does so because it is a source of torque. An impact driver is specifically designed to drive screws and uses an impact device to amplify torque.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,182

A lot of interchangability, but each tool has its' place, and you definitely won't regret having the set, particularly for tasks that require pilot holes, etc. No more switching back and forth, chucking, drilling, unchucking, chucking, driving, unchucking, ... between a drill bit and screw bit.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 244

Most drill/drivers have an adjustment to change the torque to help set screws at different heights compared to the impact driver that just screws them in till they stop. Drill drivers work good for setting screw into dry wall or small screws that may snap off.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by landfillwizard
Drill drivers work good for setting screw into dry wall or small screws that may snap off.
That's a good point, I snap off a screw head with the impact driver every once in a while if I'm not careful.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Ive yet to meet the screw that my dewalt 985 hammer drill cant drive in with ease. Infact, some beefy lag bolts were the first time I even had to kick it down into low gear. deck screws and the like are nothing to it.

Id suggest they package the 2 because they get a little bit more money, where 99% of home DIYers would be fine with just a drill and would never come back to buy the impact gun.

perhaps an impact gun would be more useful if I did more automotive work where I might encounter more nuts and bolts, particularly seized ones.

YMMV.

Advertisement

bauerbach is offline   Reply With Quote