Campbell Hausfeld Compressor "freezing" Up - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Campbell Hausfeld Compressor "freezing" up

Hi everyone!

My first post, so please go easy on me!

I have a Campbell Hausfeld Compressor Model # WL506201AJ.

It is several years old, but I have only about 5-10 hours max on it.

I have barely used it over the years. Even when it was only a couple of years old, at times, when I turned it on, it sounded like something froze up inside it, and then it would blow a fuse in the electrical circuit [sign of drawing too many amps].

I would let it set for a while, and it always worked fine again.

Just wondering if anyone here can tell me what is wrong.

It blows a fuse in an electrical circuit even if the circuit is rated far above 20 amps.

What could be the problem?

I have attached a diagram of this specific compressor.

Thanks,

Soar
Attached Thumbnails
Campbell Hausfeld Compressor "freezing" up-chwl506201aj.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by soarwitheagles; 03-10-2013 at 10:07 PM.
soarwitheagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

I've owned 5 or 6 of those---that happens under two conditions---

Most common---it get shut off or unplugged while running--then when you turn it back on it is air locked and can't start up --solution---lower the tank pressure by pulling on the preasure relief valve--

This is just one of the things this machine does if shut off before it reaches full preasure and shuts it self off----

The other cause is low voltage----this machine does not like to run off of an extention cord or be powered on a light circuit---

What you are describing is common and in my experience is not a sign of a problem--

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I've owned 5 or 6 of those---that happens under two conditions---

Most common---it get shut off or unplugged while running--then when you turn it back on it is air locked and can't start up --solution---lower the tank pressure by pulling on the preasure relief valve--

This is just one of the things this machine does if shut off before it reaches full preasure and shuts it self off----

The other cause is low voltage----this machine does not like to run off of an extention cord or be powered on a light circuit---

What you are describing is common and in my experience is not a sign of a problem--
oh'mike,

Thank you so much for your swift and informative reply.

What you say makes total sense because it could not be due to old age or so many miles on it because it happened even when it was brand new.

I think it is low voltage [long extension cord drops the voltage I suppose] and poor shut down practices by me.

I can correct the poor shut down practices I have done, but low voltage issues...

So, one more question...must I always avoid extension cords and plug directly into the wall, or are there other options?

Thanks again!

Soar
Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
DIY staff

Use 12 gauge cords only--as short as practical---buy more air hose---use that instead of an extension cord----

Those are good compressors but you have discovered the one irritating flaw----
Baxter01 (03-16-2013), woodworkbykirk (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

also , never plug a compressor into a outlet with anything else plugged in.
i always keep my compressor on a circuit that has nothing else plugged in this way there is no risk of a drop in amperage which can burn out the motor.
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 512

yup agreed, i have the same one and have the same issues. i rarely use it now having pretty much everything that runs off of a battery now.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

That appears to be an "oilless" compressor and I agree with "Omike" on this one. Try this: IF you can hold the pressure relief valve (#6) open while turning the compressor ON, see if it will start up. This way it will not be "dead-heading", which is basically what "Omike" described.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
also , never plug a compressor into a outlet with anything else plugged in.
i always keep my compressor on a circuit that has nothing else plugged in this way there is no risk of a drop in amperage which can burn out the motor.
woodworkbykirk,

Ok, I will remember from now on to only use a dedicated line/circuit when using this compressor.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
yup agreed, i have the same one and have the same issues. i rarely use it now having pretty much everything that runs off of a battery now.
princelake,

Are you saying you now have a compressor that runs off of a battery?

Soar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
That appears to be an "oilless" compressor and I agree with "Omike" on this one. Try this: IF you can hold the pressure relief valve (#6) open while turning the compressor ON, see if it will start up. This way it will not be "dead-heading", which is basically what "Omike" described.
Thurman,

Ok, I will try your advice and see if that will help.

I think the biggest mistake I have made is I ran a temporary extension cord to our car port using 14/3 wire. Before I was using 10/3 wire and never had a problem.

Also, I had several other items sucking up wattage when I attempted to use the compressor and it seemed to "seize up" much more than ever before and blew the fuse on the circuit quickly.

I have another 30 amp outlet that has the 8/3 wire, but it is outside the carport and I do not want to leave my compressor outside like that.

For now, I think I will lug the compressor outside to the 30 amp outlet when I need to use it, then run a longer hose to the car port where I do most of the work.

Thanks again everyone for your great help and advice...

I was sincerely thinking about tossing this compressor out and buying a new one, but now I realize that would have been a big mistake! Like I said, there is less than 10 hours on this machine...hopefully I will obtain many more years of service on it.

For those that own this model, may I ask how many running hours have you gotten out of it?

Soar
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
DIY staff

I get about 3 years out of one---5000 running hours is what that is rated before you need to replace reed valve/piston and cylinder---Strong machine designed for heavy use---

Oil less units have less usable hours than oil bath units----however---if they are tipped over or frozen in your truck, they will still work----

I've had issues with oil bath units --they can run out of oil and then die----so I only have two of those---on the truck? Oil less---
Old 03-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
I get about 3 years out of one---5000 running hours is what that is rated before you need to replace reed valve/piston and cylinder---Strong machine designed for heavy use---

Oil less units have less usable hours than oil bath units----however---if they are tipped over or frozen in your truck, they will still work----

I've had issues with oil bath units --they can run out of oil and then die----so I only have two of those---on the truck? Oil less---
Thanks Mike!

Wow! So if I have only used mine for 10 hours, I may still have another 4990 hours left on it?

That makes me very happy!

On the other hand, if old age also takes a toll on this unit [this unit is over 10 years old], can anyone here recommend a second unit for me?

Here is what I plan on using it for:
  1. Blowing out dusty computers once per month
  2. Occasional paint jobs when I need a compressor for the paint can sprayer.
  3. Pump up an occasional tire

I think I should stay away from the Oil Bath compressors...I read somewhere the oil units can cause trouble when using them to supply air for spraying oil based paints...
That's about it...

Thank you,

Soar

Last edited by soarwitheagles; 03-12-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
DIY staff

I think yours is an oil less unit----if it is an oil bath one---pick up a bottle of compressor oil and change it---I use synthetic oil in mine---the viscosity is better for cold weather---
Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
I think yours is an oil less unit----if it is an oil bath one---pick up a bottle of compressor oil and change it---I use synthetic oil in mine---the viscosity is better for cold weather---
How do I know if there is oil in mine or not?

Thank you!

Soar
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
DIY staff

There will be a dipstick ---look it over very carefully---the oil fill/dipstick hole is easy to spot if it has one---
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 512

lol no mine isnt a battery. i bought all battery powered tools so i dont have to haul around the heavy compressor
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
lol no mine isnt a battery. i bought all battery powered tools so i dont have to haul around the heavy compressor
Princelake,

Oh, ok, I see!

May I ask what was your choice of brand name on the battery operated tools?

I have tried Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and several others...now I have switched exclusively to Rigid. Rigid is the only maker that I know of that offers lifetime warranty! For me, this is really, really good. I do not know if they still offer the lifetime warranty...it was for a limited time only and I had to register every tool. I picked up their combo pack and have been very happy with it.

I went through over $400 worth of Dewalt 18v batteries. Now I never need to worry about replacing batteries ever again!

Soar
Attached Thumbnails
Campbell Hausfeld Compressor "freezing" up-rigid.jpg  

Advertisement