Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Share |

Campbell hausfeld air compressor wont start

I have a iron force campbell hausfeld 28gal 6.25HP air compressor that wont start. It was running fine last night and it was running when I left the garage to go back into the house. I heard it kick off when it got pumped up. I went back out about 45 minutes later to blow some dust off with the air nozzle. I noticed that it wasn't kicking back on. So I checked to see what the air pressure was and it was all the way down to 40psi. I know it should have kicked back on along ways befor that. So I turned the switch to off and turned it back to on and still nothing. So I reset the breaker and tried it again and nothing. So tried a couple different outlets and still nothing. Any ideas as to what the problem is here. I have heard a hissing sound that sounds like its coming from where the air hose hooks up to on the tank where the on and off switch is. I could hear it last night as well while I was trying to see what was wrong with this. I need my compressor this weekend so I would like to try to get it fixed. Its oiless and its vertical. Any help would be great

Steve12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Experienced

Welcome Steve, to the best DIY'r site on the web.

I know you said that you reset breakers, did you test them for power?

Have you openned up the pressure switch to see if the contact are fried?

Mark

Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

I know the breaker is good because other stuff wirks on that breaker as well as the outlets. I did pop off the cover that the on and off switch sits on and I seen one little black thing that you could press on that makes some metal lever push down. I also seen 2 threaded rods with a spring around each one. Not sure what I am looking for or even looking at.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Experienced

Steve be careful looking under that cover, this is electrically hot, if the compressor is plugged in. The 2 spring things as you call them are the pressure switches, one is for on pressure and the other is for off. They should be connected to a set of electrical contacts, that will open and close based on pressure.

A picture may help us help you

Mark
Old 03-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #5

OK well I made sure it was unplugged when I pulled the cover off. I have no picture to send because I am at work. Not sure what or where these contacts are that these things are suppose to hit. I know if I push down on the little black button its pushes a metal lever down
Old 03-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve12 View Post
OK well I made sure it was unplugged when I pulled the cover off. I have no picture to send because I am at work. Not sure what or where these contacts are that these things are suppose to hit. I know if I push down on the little black button its pushes a metal lever down
Well lets go through this later then, but do suspect that the pressure switch needs to be replaced. How old is this unit?

I say the switch over the capacitor start or motor because the breaker doesn't sound like it tripped.....correct?

Mark
Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Well lets go through this later then, but do suspect that the pressure switch needs to be replaced. How old is this unit?

I say the switch over the capacitor start or motor because the breaker doesn't sound like it tripped.....correct?

Mark
No it did'nt trip but it has tripped numerous times in the past. There is to much stuff running on that same breaker. It's a 15 amp braker I believe. And I have been doing a lot of porting work and the compressor cant keep up with the load I am using with the die grinder and it will continuosly run 4 ever cause of that and the motor gets super hot. But the breaker will trip quite a bit when that happens.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Experienced

Steve, have you check the motor thermal overload? It will be a buttong somewhere on the motor casing, usually a red button.

EDIT - I believe now after some research that the Thermal overload on your unit is automatic reset, so you can forget that one, so we are back to the pressure switch.

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 03-04-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Steve, have you check the motor thermal overload? It will be a buttong somewhere on the motor casing, usually a red button.

Mark
Really didnt look for a button on the motor. All I did was pull the 2 covers off the capacitors and the cover off the pressure thingy on and off switch. I also pulled the cover off around the head. Dont recall seeing a red button anywhere though.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #10

Well Campbell Hausfeld tends to think the the motor is shot due to thermal overload since it has been tripping the breaker for awhile now. So i'm wondering if I gamble and order a new pressure switch or just go out and buy a new compressor and start all over.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Experienced

See my edit, the thermal overload is automatic reset.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #12

If you are comfortable in doing so, you could look at the pressure switch to determine which pairs of wires make contact, wire nut them together temporarily, essentially bypassing the pressure switch, in order to determine whether it is that or the motor.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #13

So how do I go about figuring out which pair of wires make contact? I dont have an issue doing that just want to make sure I get the right pair and dont burn my house down or something stupid
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #14

When you look at it tonight, you will see that the black and white wires in your power cord are attached to a pair of brass scews, and that directly across from them is another pair of brass screws to which the leads to the motor are connected You simply want to connect the two power cord leads to the two motor leads, just as they are configured in the pressure switch. I would also drain the tank first, so that you are not trying to start it against any pressure.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #15

Oh... just remembered that you said 6-1/4 H.P. So is this 220 volt, and do you have a magnetic starter?