Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brad Nailer problem

Went to use my brad nailer tonight to reattach some baseboard moulding and was surprised to find that it did not work like it did the last time I used it. It seems to drive the nails ok but the exhaust discharge takes about 4 or 5 seconds instead of the millisecond that it used to take. I don't know much about the inner workings of these things but it's like the plunger is slow to return back to the "ready" position. The really drains my air supply quickly, like something is not closing fast enough and it's taking alot of extra air to return the gun to the ready position.

I took the gun apart and looked at the O rings (or at least the ones I could see). I couldn't see that anything was damaged or brittle but I did put a couple of drops of oil on it while I had it apart. Still no luck though. It fires good and solid and drives the 2" brad nail all the way in but then it "hisses" for about 5 seconds before it's ready to fire again. Of course the hissing noise is the air discharging out the vent at the top of the gun.

Not that Craftsman is great or anything but this is a Craftsman gun and not one of those really cheap ones that you can get for $29. I think I paid around $99 for it on sale.

Any help or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

jfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

Brad Nailer problem

Put a few drops in the air fitting before you attach the hose and try another 20 brads or so.