Bostich High Power Coil Framing Nailer - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

bostich high power coil framing nailer

hello, i have this coil framing nailer that i use for framing and i am about to build a fence and would like to use the nailer to put up the fence boards.
now the problem is i think that this gun only will go down to 2 inch nails and would go through the 2x4 that the boards will be fastened to. has anyone ever used 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 nails in this gun?? i know that there site says the coil nailer will take 1 3/4 but says the high power one that i have will only go down to 2 inch. has anyone ever tried this gun for that?? thanks.

Advertisement

christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoff View Post
hello, i have this coil framing nailer that i use for framing and i am about to build a fence and would like to use the nailer to put up the fence boards.
now the problem is i think that this gun only will go down to 2 inch nails and would go through the 2x4 that the boards will be fastened to. has anyone ever used 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 nails in this gun?? i know that there site says the coil nailer will take 1 3/4 but says the high power one that i have will only go down to 2 inch. has anyone ever tried this gun for that?? thanks.
What are you using as a fence material? A 3/4" facing over a 1 1/2" base will not shoot a 2" nail throught the mass if you have the gun adjusted.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #3

good point ron, ill check out the fence board thickness and get back thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

How much fence you doing? If alot just go get the right gun. You can get refurbished Bostitch N66 for under $150 on Amazon. It's alot of nail for a little fence board. Also watch out about driving those nails too deep. Fence slats I get around here are generally pretty crappy and my framing nailer will dive a nail almost all the way thru them.
Mikelite80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelite80 View Post
How much fence you doing? If alot just go get the right gun. You can get refurbished Bostitch N66 for under $150 on Amazon. It's alot of nail for a little fence board. Also watch out about driving those nails too deep. Fence slats I get around here are generally pretty crappy and my framing nailer will dive a nail almost all the way thru them.
Test the penetrating depth and adjust the compressor psi to give you the depth you want. You have the ability to control the nail depth.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #6

i'll try that first ron but i hope that i can onlly buy 1 coil of nails to test
Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelite80 View Post

mike, i only have about 200 feet to do, another thought would be to rent the gun from hd as i already have a makita compressor.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

200' is a fair amount of fence. It's at least 400 pickets with 3 rails what would be 2400 nails. What materials you plan on using? If using ceder pickets you will want to use stainless steel or aluminum nails. You can use almost any tool for the job but when they are designed for another purpose they won't perform as well. Depending on your layout and gates I'd guess this is atleast a $2000 project, less if using all PT or just replacing pickets. What is $150 for a tool in the big picture there. Heck just the nails will be more then the gun. I'm all for renting if possible. Only problem around here is most people don't carry them or don't even know what a siding nailer is. Hopefully different in your area.
Mikelite80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #9

hi guys i am just using galvanized nails
i spoke with home depot and they only rent roof coil nailers and my nailer can only go down to 2 inch which i s too long so i will bite the bullet and just bang away, so thanks for all of the suggestions

Advertisement