Bosch Daredevil Spade Bit Promotion Pack - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,050

Bosch Daredevil spade bit promotion pack

Was in my local Home Depot today and saw some nice spade bits - Bosch Daredevil. There weren't cheap
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-1-i...1013/203274559

But they had some good package deals.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Dar...5006/203274578
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Dar...5010/203274429

Either the 10-pc version in the store didn't have the extra extension bit, or I missed it somehow.

Then on my way out I saw this one. I assumed it would be about $30, but apparently it's a Bosch promotion and it was only $15. The web site shows it as $1 different for some reason. Pretty decent case and kind of a no-brainer for $12 bits at that price. That's about 80% off the individual price, plus the free case.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Dar...368321&cj=true

Personally I don't see much use for a 1/4" spade, but I suppose the threaded tip will help for quick work.

Using these, they are amazingly fast. That's partly because of the threaded tip, but the blades really cut. If the blades were not so good, the threaded tip might actually be a bad thing, because the bit wouldn't be able to keep up with the pull of the tip. For those of you used to pressing hard to get a spade to move, this will be a pleasure to use.

They cut so fast, that they might not be the best choice for your cordless drill, depending on how much power you have. With a regular high power corded drill, these things must rip. According to the video on Bosch's web site, they do.

I went through a pressure treated 4x4 very quickly with my Makita 18v cordless. With the 1 1/4" bit, it did bog down once toward the back end, because the bit was pulling faster than my drill could provide power. It was simple to fix - reverse the drill for a second, then go back at it, regaining momentum. With the 3/4" bit, it made it through with no problem in 4.5 seconds. It was using all my drill's power though. A PT 4x4 is fairly tough stuff, but on harder materials you might have to let the threaded tip strip the wood so you can go a little slower.

Your drill might do better or worse, but to be fair, the Makita 18v is one of the more powerful drills out there.

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

By the way, I have an online subscription to Fine Homebuilding, and the Feb/March issue reviewed spade bits. I didn't look it up until I bought these, but it turns out this bit came out as the best buy out of Amana Timberline, Craftsman, DeWalt, Disston Turbo, Greenlee, Irwin Speedbor traditional, Irwin Speedbor fluted, Lenox fluted, MagBit, Milwaukee fluted, Vermont American, and WoodOwl. Some of these bits are cheap, but they only lasted a few holes before slowing way down. Also, I would say the test might have been biased toward threaded tip bits, because of the way they used a consistent weight for pressure. If you were willing to push harder with your hand, I'm sure you could get some of those bits going faster through the wood. The Daredevil was by far the fastest, and also one of the longest lasting, and at the price, produced the lower price per hole cut.

The online article is only available to members, but the preview is here.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/tool...om&member=true

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 344

Thanks for the heads up. I need to got to big orange this week!
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to landfillwizard For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (01-27-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,138

[QUOTE=jeffnc;1666417]..............Then on my way out I saw this one. I assumed it would be about $30, but apparently it's a Bosch promotion and it was only $15. The web site shows it as $1 different for some reason. Pretty decent case and kind of a no-brainer for $12 bits at that price. That's about 80% off the individual price, plus the free case.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Dar.................[NQUOTE]

I ordered the 13 piece set
A few years back Fine Home Building had a shoot out for the Best Paddle Bits and Bosch Won.
I don't know if it was the same Series.
Attached Thumbnails
Bosch Daredevil spade bit promotion pack-bosch13piecepaddlebits.jpg  

Last edited by PaliBob; 01-29-2015 at 07:21 PM.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

I didn't even notice the web site said online only. Funny, they had it in my store.