Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

Share |

Between these 2 Miter Saws?

I am deciding between these two miter saws. I am a DIY uy who will be using these for crown(no much at all) and possibly a few other things over the years. I heard the laser is a useless feature as it blocks the pencil marks. Any opinions on these? Thanks a lot!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10FCE.../dp/B000V5Z6RG

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-14-...0?N=5yc1vZc2d7

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
STAFF

I have the Hitachi and like it pretty good, for a DIYer it will do good but for heavy use it won't hold up. I am not a Ryobi fan. JMHO

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

Ok I bought the Hitachi... Hope I made a good choice ... I also bought the Kreg jig for crown molding. Two questions

1. Can I use the blade that came with the saw for crown ?
2. Does someone have a link for an article to help guide me with this crown install I'm attempting? Thanks
Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

hitachit is definitely a better product, one thing to consider with only having a 10" saw is that you will be very very limited to what size crown you can cut by using the upside down and backwards method.

i had that saw 7 years ago and realized very quickly that i would have to be finishing my cuts with a hand saw when doing 5" crown because by standing hte crown up the saw cant go all the way down through the material
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
hitachit is definitely a better product, one thing to consider with only having a 10" saw is that you will be very very limited to what size crown you can cut by using the upside down and backwards method.

i had that saw 7 years ago and realized very quickly that i would have to be finishing my cuts with a hand saw when doing 5" crown because by standing hte crown up the saw cant go all the way down through the material
I do but don't understand what you mean/ Why will a 10" limit you? Don't you lay the crown flat when cutting? I can't afford the 12" so that sucks.

Last edited by Mstrlucky74; 02-15-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #6

Crown is held up side down at the angle it's going to be sitting on the wall.
I tried that Keg miter tool and did not like it. This one is a whole lot easier, I did not have to do anymore then look at the pictures right on the tool to figure out how to use it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bench-Dog...-027/202738579
Bought a 10" one time and brought it back the same day and traded it for a 12".
It would not even cut laminate flooring, 2 X 8's, stair treads in one pass.
Even a 10 slider would have been better then a 10 saw.
A 10" works fine for things like casing, baseboard, 1/4 rd. cove moulding.
del schisler (02-16-2014), Mstrlucky74 (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
STAFF

For ceiling mold up to or a little larger than 4 inches this saw will do the job, as Mstrlucky said he isn't installing trim for a living, he is DIYing his home.

You can cut the ceiling mold laying flat, but someone else will have to tell you how, I never cut it like that. I don't know how to use the jig Joe is talking about either. I always cut it the old fashion way, upside down and backwards.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #8

I suck at cutting crown, main reason I do not do it often enough to get good at it.
Once I bought that tools I did a whole house and the only issue I had was I keep cutting it to long because I did not trust myself.
BigJim (02-15-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #9
journeyman carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
I do but don't understand what you mean/ Why will a 10" limit you? Don't you lay the crown flat when cutting? I can't afford the 12" so that sucks.
the saw will limit you to cutting small to medium size crown because it doesnt have hte vertical cut capacity to cut a 6" Crown or larger if your cutting it upside down and backwards.. if your cutting hte crown on the flat you have to have a dual compound mitre saw as the saw bevels both left and right
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-16-2014), del schisler (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #10

Nobody should ever by Ryobi, waste of money. The Hitachi is much better.I have a Makita and its nothing special. I've used all of these and the Dewalt is the best I've used.
mcnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
AHH, SPANS!!!

cutting upside down is it for a standard non compound drop saw. For cutting crown upside down use stops to hold it while you cut or mark the base of the sawe with a sharpie ( preferred) and keep your eye on the mark while making cuts. for inside corners while the crown is nested upside down on the saw the blade should come back into the cut and for outside corners the blade should go out past the cut.
so when you are finished with the cut for an inside corner you will see the angle going back into the piece of trim and for the outside corner the angle will be going away from the trim.

edit... to make the marks with the sharpie onto saw base nest the crown upside down and turn the base of the saw to 45 degrees both left and right, mark across the edge of crown onto base at each saw setting- right 45-left 45 and square, three settings. so when you flip to each setting the line will be there to set your crown to and keep an eye on the line as you make the cut but watch the blade as well . I hold the crown at the edge of the saw where the saw base ends and with my palm on the face of crown somewhat I use minor finger adjustments on the back of while cutting, you kind of want to flex press the crown toward the vertical base as you cut, the tighter the crown stays while cutting the better which might be better for stops to be used. you do not want fingers anywhere near the spinning blade.

Last edited by hand drive; 02-16-2014 at 08:58 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

something not mentioned is that there are two different styles of crown.. 45 degree crown and 52 degree crown this means is the difference in how much of the crown is along the wall.. 45 degree crown is split evenly between how it lies on the wall and ceiling.. 52 degree crown llies more on the wall.. because of this your cut angles will also change
Old 02-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #13

Sorry guys but I really like my kreg jig it also has pictures on it. Again I don't do enough to be proficient at it and the jig helps a lot. You really don't need stops with it you set the spring angle, it shows you how, then just put the crown in the jig the way it tells you.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Sorry guys but I really like my kreg jig it also has pictures on it. Again I don't do enough to be proficient at it and the jig helps a lot. You really don't need stops with it you set the spring angle, it shows you how, then just put the crown in the jig the way it tells you.
Is that jig like the one Joe has? If not can you post a link to it? I like learning new stuff.

Jim
Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #15

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=....61535280,d.aW
Jim I hope this works. The video is pretty good.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote