Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Best Table Saw??

What is the best affordable table saw for cutting plywood, and thinks like 2x4's, 4x4's, and if it could do miters that would be nice:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...&Ntt=table+saw

abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #2

Best Table Saw??

Maybe not affordable if you are looking at the portables as an option, but check out...

www.sawstop.com

They have a contractors style saw.

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #3

Best Table Saw??

use the search here you'll find some great advise
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #4

Best Table Saw??

Yup, I'm trying to stay under $5-600 at the very most. It will be for just home projects/hobby stuff
Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #5

Best Table Saw??

Do any do routing for edges? Or is that a seperate tool?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #6

Best Table Saw??

there are moulding head cutters but you have to make sure your saw arbor is long enough
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Best Table Saw??

Quote:
Originally Posted by strublesiding@optonline.n View Post
there are moulding head cutters but you have to make sure your saw arbor is long enough
That is a very important point. I have two table saws, one good but old shop saw, and a cheap Skill that I take to jobs.

Unfortunately, the Skill came with a short shaft that will not handle much more than the installation of a single saw blade... maybe two if I want to cut a narrow dado, but that's it.

My big Rockwell will easily handle my adjustable dado blade. And that is an important feature.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #8

Best Table Saw??

The portable saws aren't near as nice as a decent contractor saw. Look at the Delta, the Jet, and Ridgid. They might not hurt your budget as much as you think. The portable saws really limit you in my opinion...Been there, done that.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Idiot Emeritus

Best Table Saw??

Grizzly makes some pretty good tools as well. Pretty solid, and not all that spendy.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #10

Best Table Saw??

I'm not sure if this fits your needs... but the Ridgid 3660/3650 is being closed out at Home Depot nationwide. Regular 549.. on sale for 399. It isn't their portable jobsite saw but it does have a pretty decent wheel system. It gets pretty good reviews for saws in its category.
DIY_JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
(the original)

Best Table Saw??

I have the Ridgid 3650 and I don't think you can do any better in the price range. At that $399 closeout price, I'm tempted to buy another one! My suggestion is buy it NOW, spend the extra money on good blades, a link belt to replace the stock one, and an upgraded miter gauge......and don't look back! You'll be happy!
That said, I'm not gonna run out and buy another one, 'cause I want to see the granite top 4511 they're coming out with to replace it. They already have it up at the Ridgid website if you want to take a look.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #12

Best Table Saw??

...I just got a Ryobi BTS15 for dirt cheap off of CL. It needed a new arbor bearing. I ordered one and she is a good as gold. The Fence on the BTS15 surprized the hell out of me...it is very very good for the saw.
TBFghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
DIY Rookie

Send a message via AIM to jpfreak33

Best Table Saw??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_JC View Post
I'm not sure if this fits your needs... but the Ridgid 3660/3650 is being closed out at Home Depot nationwide. Regular 549.. on sale for 399. It isn't their portable jobsite saw but it does have a pretty decent wheel system. It gets pretty good reviews for saws in its category.
I bought this yesterday for the $399 + they let me use a 10% coupon!!!
I put it together last night and I am SOO overly impressed with the quality. The saw in the box is 301lbs, so we tool everything out and carried it to the basement. It takes some time to put together but man, what a saw.
jpfreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #14

Best Table Saw??

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefroman View Post
Yup, I'm trying to stay under $5-600 at the very most. It will be for just home projects/hobby stuff
If you are willing to pry your wallet open a bit, you can find a used Delta Unisaw, get a Cabinet saw you can't go wrong.
bwalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Best Table Saw??

Don't give up on finding a good deal out there somewhere. This kind of good saw can be found at estate sales all the time. I got mine free from a private school I was remodeling. They were throwing this and a Radial Arm saw out. Unfortunately, the Radial Arm was pretty much junk... but I have one of the big Sears electronic jobs already anyway.

Keep your eyes open, they're around. And the old ones are often so much better than many of the newer ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Table Saw??-saw-pic.jpg  

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote