Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #1

Share |

Best hand tools

I am in the market for some new adjustables, pliers, and wreches. Just trying to get everyones opinion of best value brand out there. I know about the highend german tools that run 90 bucks a wrench, but unless it does to work for you I will not buy those.
bc0604@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Man of many hats

Best hand tools

Alot of that really depends on your use for each. Some uses almost require that you spend the extra few dollars for quality, but there are others that I find the lesser expensive ones fit the bill. For example, I use Channel lock for my 6" pair of adjustable pliers, but I need a heavier, higher quality for my 14" pair. But that is just for what I use them on a regular basis. Your situation may be totaly different. Also, consider that from time to time you might misplace, leave behind, or lose a pair(like 'accidentally' dropped behind a wall) and need to replace one. Don't use your best set in a situation where you might lose your grasp on it.
Brett
Old 02-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #3

Best hand tools

I never never never recommend Craftsman's power tools or carpenters tools, but have had great luck with their mechanics tools. They aren't something you'd want to make a living with, but are of pretty good quality for those of us that reach for them on a regular basis in our DIY activities.

I have several Snap-On tools and they are very well made and much more durable. But, they're pricier.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #4

Best hand tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I never never never recommend Craftsman's power tools or carpenters tools, but have had great luck with their mechanics tools. They aren't something you'd want to make a living with, but are of pretty good quality for those of us that reach for them on a regular basis in our DIY activities.

I have several Snap-On tools and they are very well made and much more durable. But, they're pricier.
The best thing about craftsman mechanic's tools is that they are guaranteed for life, but then again, if you're not a pro using the tools for a living, then consider also that Harbor Freight also carries a lifetime exchange warranty.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Idiot Emeritus

Best hand tools

I feel exactly the same way about Craftsman tools.

I have a bunch of Craftsman hand tools, some 30 years old, I use (and abuse) them pretty hard, I don't remember ever breaking one.

Other brands I've had good luck with are Snap-on, Armstrong, Crescent, Proto, SK, and a few others I can't think of right now.

The el-cheapo tools are usually not well made. For example, a 1/2" wrench that's well made will apply considerably more torque to a bolt before rounding the head than a cheap one.

Anymore, I only buy quality tools. They cost more, but are worth it over time.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #6

Best hand tools

I bought some Gearwrench stuff and found these to be ok. Sears usually offer 50% discounts sale for these once in a while.

www.gearwrench.com
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #7

Best hand tools

First consideration here is that tools only break, if they break when you need them most so buy the best you'll buy them once.
Personally I would buy Craftsman again but right now I would shop samrt for used ones. The lifetime warranty goes with the tool not the owner and there is always a Sears nearby to replace any broken ones. I do have a number of Great Snap Ons and Kleins as well but I've bought them piece by piece at garage sales and used junk shops for cheap. Shop the classifieds, on line and estate sales, etc. if you're not in a hurry.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:58 AM   #8

Best hand tools

I have had good luck with Craftsman wrenches, but some of the stores are getting to be a pain with replacing. Had one store try to hand me a repair kit for a broken ratchet and also try to tell me they could not replace a screwdriver because it was from a set. After getting with the manager, I got replacements. You can find name brand, quality tools, at Harbor Freight if you go to the online catalog. I bought an Ingersol Rand impact gun (new) for less than a repaired one from a tool repair shop. They also have factory reconditioned units. I also bought a set of deep impact sockets for under $10 and have yet to break one using the 425 lb IR impact. I DID break a Craftsman socket with it. You always need to use common sense depending on what and how often the tool will be used for. The best router in the world will not work well with a cheap bit.