Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Budget Table saw

My table saw just bit the big one and I am looking for a replacement. I am looking for something with a solid fence and a blade that stays aligned for a long time. I was looking at the Ridgid contractor mobile saw as my best bet, but wanted a little input before I decided.

bc0604@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #2

Best Budget Table saw

I bought a JET after several positive reviews on amazon, but I don't like it at all.

So you cross that off your list!

modelcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Best Budget Table saw

This is one time I'd suggest Craftsman. They have a 10" portable that's not half bad. The fence can be finicky but other than that, it's pretty solid for $250. Or if you're budget allows, the Dewalt 745 has always gotten pretty good reviews.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #4

Best Budget Table saw

Hitachi.........................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
(the original)

Rewards Points: 612

Best Budget Table saw

I have the Ridgid TS3650 and it compares well to saws I've used that cost almost twice as much. Best stock fence I've ever seen on a saw in the price range. I've heard nothing but good about the TS2400 portable, as well, though I haven't had a chance to use one. Grizzly builds some great saws for a decent price, too.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Best Budget Table saw

i got a ProTech $40 cheapie that i still use the h3ll out of after 5 years... i know it'll fry and die soon, but hey, it's paid for itself.
i have a bigger/better 10" TS, but that's another story.

DM
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #7

Best Budget Table saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelcitizen View Post
I bought a JET after several positive reviews on amazon, but I don't like it at all.

So you cross that off your list!
You gotta qualify a statement like that! What don't you like about the Jet that another saw offers? Jet is one of the best manufacturers of stationary power tools there is, and they shouldn't be crossed off anybody's list.

I've had a Jet contractor tablesaw for several years and can tell you that it is incredibly precise, reliable, dead flat, plenty powerful, etc. I use the heck out of it and wouldn't trade if for anything but a larger cabinet saw.

The Ridgid saw gets good reviews. I don't care for the webbed table on them, which makes them less than adequate for many woodworking purposes. Accessories for them are more limited due to their proprietary design which is less modular than more traditional contractor saws (aftermarket fences, zero clearance inserts, etc.). If you're a serious woodworker I wouldn't give it a look. For a hobbyist or contractor, they'll do great work.

I'd strongly recommend a Delta, Jet, or Powermatic contractor saw. Either of those three will be solid performers.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #8

Best Budget Table saw

Grizzly has excellent products as well, and have saws in nearly every price point. They'll be cheaper than the big name brands for basically comparable products.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Best Budget Table saw

I have Ridgid and like it just fine. I like the portability of the saw. I was also considering the Dewalt before I made my purchase. But the built in stand on the Ridged is what won me over.

The saw has plenty of power for a portable table saw. At $500 bucks it is a little more costly than some of the others. (that was a few years ago when I purchased mine) But I think it is money well spent.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
the Musigician

Best Budget Table saw

slightly off topic for this thread, but i too like my rigid planer. rigid (made in taiwan) must insist on better standards/testing than companies based in mainland china. the planer has worked for me for years and all i've ever had to do is change knives occasionally. any way to sharpen these things accurately? dunno what to do with the old knives otherwise.....

DM
Old 12-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #11

Best Budget Table saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
any way to sharpen these things accurately?
Sure, but you'd have quite an investment in a slow speed wet sharpening system and a jointer/planer blade jig. I throw mine out and buy new ones!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
the Musigician

Best Budget Table saw

yeah, but the wife never throws anything away.....

DM
Old 12-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
(the original)

Rewards Points: 612

Best Budget Table saw

A handful of old jointer/planer blades, some hardwood scraps, a few rivets, a little effort and creativity, and you'll have one heck of a nice set of steak knives....
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
the Musigician

Best Budget Table saw

hmmm, double-edged steak knives......

DM
Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #15

Best Budget Table saw

talking about planners, I was looking at a planner to make some cutting boards, ect. Eventually I would like to get a decent planner to make my own custom molding in my rehabs, but that is most likely a year or two down the road and my workshop currently is not big enough to have an area dedicated to a bench planner, has anyone ever had any luck with cheaper handheld planners for things such as cutting boards ect. I was thinking about getting a cheap one to play with, but if I can not get the results that I am looking for I wont even bother.

bc0604@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote